• First, you need to check to see if common law marriage is legal in your state. if it is, the ex has an interest in the house and probably will take you to court for their 50% of the assets. this will include selling the house and splitting 50/50. Seven years is the normal number of years to be together in a common law marriage.
  • Only 11 U.S. states still recognize common law marriage: Alabama, Colorado, District of Columbia, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, and Utah. Five other states only permit common law marriage if the requirements were met before a certain date: * Georgia (if the elements were satisfied before January 1, 1997) * Idaho (if the elements were satisfied before January 1, 1996) * New Hampshire (for inheritance only) * Ohio (if the elements were satisfied before October 10, 1991) * Pennsylvania (if the elements were satisfied before January 1, 2005) Your ex only has a legal right to the home if he can prove common law marriage and can further prove that the house is a marital asset. Since the house is only in your name, get a protective order, serve him with an eviction notice, and let him try to prove his right to the home. Please contact a local women's shelter, support agency, or a family law lawyer for information on how to protect yourself.
  • You need legal advice straight away. Generally, splits only occur on assets that have been accrued during a relationship, but he can make things messy if you don't know your rights.
  • how did this issue come to an end. did you get to keep you house without any problems? I am going throught the same issue right now and am lost! My ex-boyfriend has the truck that is under my name and refuses to give it back and stopped giving me money to make payments
  • Regardless if your state recognizes common law marriage or not, if your ex contributed money to maintain the house or make any repairs he may have a legal interest in the house. I suggest getting out and away from him and see what happens. He might sue in which case you get an attorney and determine how much, if anything, you owe him.

Copyright 2020, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy