• From what I just read on it, it isn't just an automatic thing. There is legal paperwork to be filed through the courthouse. Read the following or just use the link! From the texas family code laws. -or- see here if you want : FAMILY CODE TITLE 2. CHILD IN RELATION TO THE FAMILY SUBTITLE A. LIMITATIONS OF MINORITY CHAPTER 31. REMOVAL OF DISABILITIES OF MINORITY § 31.001. REQUIREMENTS. (a) A minor may petition to have the disabilities of minority removed for limited or general purposes if the minor is: (1) a resident of this state; (2) 17 years of age, or at least 16 years of age and living separate and apart from the minor's parents, managing conservator, or guardian; and (3) self-supporting and managing the minor's own financial affairs. (b) A minor may file suit under this chapter in the minor's own name. The minor need not be represented by next friend. § 31.006. EFFECT OF GENERAL REMOVAL. Except for specific constitutional and statutory age requirements, a minor whose disabilities are removed for general purposes has the capacity of an adult, including the capacity to contract.
  • So, actually your son is wrong, according to the link above. He has to have a job, and living on his own already, and you pretty much have to not contest it. The key word is self-sufficient.
  • im about to be 17 in 10-7-08 n i want to move that month or after jan. but my friend says i have to live with someone if i want to move out?? cofuse bout the whole thing
  • Technically yeah he is considered a legal adult at 17 in texas but he still has to be 18 to do almost anything! I moved out when i was 17 and my lawyer said the only way my parents could make me move back home was if they physically took me back!
  • i dont have an answer but a question like the original. i have a friend whos turning 17, and he was wondering since he already has a stable place to live in mind and everything planned out-if he will be able to move out once he's 17 without getting in trouble with the law.
  • There is no state with an age of majority below 18, and a few states with an age of majority of 19-21. Your son is not an adult until age 18. The only way around this is for him to become emancipated. Emancipation is a legal process in which a minor gets permission from a court to be treated as an adult. In order for this to occur, all states that allow it require that the minor show financial independence. The exact requirements for Texas were listed in another answer, so I will not repeat them here. Your son is mistaken.
  • I'm a sixteen year old female from ft. worth Texas and I want to emancipate myself once I've turned seventeen which will be in February. I've read the emancipation laws about being seventeen or at least sixteen (waiting to take action till I'm seventeen.) I have a job and plan on getting another so I'll be able to support myself. It states that you must live away from your parents. Does this mean you need to live away from them already? Like you're already out of the house and under someone else's roof? I know a family that wouldn't mind taking me in as long as I paid them rent and helped support for food. Is that an option or do I already have to be living in their home? Those are the requirements taht I've partially fulfilled. What else do I need to do to get emancipated. I'd also like to add that my mother has gone to jail for drinking and driving and as if last year my step father was nearly mentally unstable. My father is vicious and he verbally abuses me constantly. I love my parents but I don't think living with them is what is best for me. My father threatens me all the time, he never fulfills them but he still gets angry enough to threaten me with a beating. I don't mean a spanking or anything of the sort like he'll say he'll "fucking beat the shit out of [me]." If I told the court of law about my mother's DUI and my father's verbal abuse do you think that is a good explanation that will get me emancipated?
  • just let him he is old enough to know better and to young to care at that age its all about them.

Copyright 2020, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy