• yes ...very much so
  • Of Course not. Do you feel Christians are depriving their children of Hanakha? Or the TRUTH.
  • One of Jim's sons belongs to that group. We are not allowed to wish anyone happy birthday, send cards or gifts for any occasion whatsoever. So at Christmas we send them a "thinking of you" card and let it go at that. Their lives revolves around the church. But David (Jim's son) went through a very bad divorce and he met his current wife at church and she is a wonderful woman..they are very happy, and the children are doing great. So we have only admiration for them and their lifestyles choices. :)
  • Well yes, but i dont see how Christ's Birthday should be so commercial and materialistic. Though im not a Witness, i probably will not celebrate so many holidays with gifts and such, i'll celebrate it with family and love like it should be.
  • as one of j'ws with two children and being raised as a jw , i can tell you this , we never once were deprived . As jw parents we are taught to charish our children , i never once felt left out at christmas becuase we were taught the real meaning , and we were also givin gifts and were celebrated as chirldren all year round . lots of kid parties and things with fellow believers. very moral and wholsome loving upbringing.
  • i think so but theres not much you can do about it
  • J.W's have been given just one directive by Jesus... (Matthew 28:19, 20) Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.
  • I think it’s like any belief system, people feel theirs is always the “best”, but children adapt to their environments. If parents are feeling deprived, then children will adopt that same attitude. We, as parents, have to be certain that we are not allowing the “traditions of men” and nostalgia to determine how we worship God (Col 2:8).
    • pugwashjw65
      As I stated in my main comment, God's word the Bible tells us HOW God wants to be worshipped...by obedience...and Jesus carried his requirements to us...(Mark 9:7) And a cloud formed, overshadowing them, and a voice came out of the cloud: ?This is my Son, the beloved. Listen to him.?
    • LizzyP
      Yes, I agree with you. We are just using different scriptures to support the same idea. We have to worship God the way that He wants and not be persuaded by the popular traditions of men.
  • I think it
  • *** “A God exacting exclusive devotion.” “Even though there are those who are called ‘gods,’ whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many ‘gods’ and many ‘lords,’ there is actually to us one God the Father.” (1Co 8:5, 6) Jehovah is the Almighty God, the only true God, and he rightfully exacts exclusive devotion. (Ex 20:5) His servants must keep others out of, or excluded from, his proper place in their hearts and actions. He requires his worshipers to worship him with spirit and truth. (Joh 4:24) They should stand in reverent awe of him alone.—Isa 8:13; Heb 12:28, 29. THE Bible is not the source of popular religious and secular holidays that are celebrated in many parts of the world today. What, then, is the origin of such celebrations? If you have access to a library, you will find it interesting to note what reference books say about holidays that are popular where you live. Consider a few examples. ** Easter. “There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the New Testament,” states The Encyclopædia Britannica. How did Easter get started? It is rooted in pagan worship. While this holiday is supposed to commemorate Jesus’ resurrection, the customs associated with the Easter season are not Christian. For instance, concerning the popular “Easter bunny,” The Catholic Encyclopedia says: “The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility.” ** New Year’s Celebrations. The date and customs associated with New Year’s celebrations vary from one country to another. Regarding the origin of this celebration, The World Book Encyclopedia states: “The Roman ruler Julius Caesar established January 1 as New Year’s Day in 46 B.C. The Romans dedicated this day to Janus, the god of gates, doors, and beginnings. The month of January was named after Janus, who had two faces—one looking forward and the other looking backward.” So New Year’s celebrations are founded on pagan traditions. ** Halloween. The Encyclopedia Americana says: “Elements of the customs connected with Halloween can be traced to a Druid [ancient Celtic priesthood] ceremony in pre-Christian times. The Celts had festivals for two major gods—a sun god and a god of the dead . . . , whose festival was held on November 1, the beginning of the Celtic New Year. The festival of the dead was gradually incorporated into Christian ritual.” ** Other Holidays. It is not possible to discuss all the observances held throughout the world. However, holidays that exalt humans or human organizations are not acceptable to Jehovah. (Jeremiah 17:5-7; Acts 10:25, 26) Keep in mind, too, that the origin of religious celebrations has a bearing on whether they please God or not. (Isaiah 52:11; Revelation 18:4)
  • Witness parents explain to their children from the Bible what holidays are about and why God disapproves of them. They take other opportunities throughout to give their children presents and such. Once children reach the age of understanding, the child can either continue to accept the parent's teachings or reject it.
  • That is their concern not mine. It is their beliefs.
  • Before I read the replies below I read JWs see every day as a holiday. So every day is celebrated. I am not a Jehovah's Witness. I was told this by a young man who is one.