• There are different reasons for this, the couple I know about is having a conflict of interest and a discriminating opinion with the case.
  • The whole hurry up and wait thing...Plus if you get on a panel its so open ended. Your being TOLD to do it ... I wish you could volenteer for a time when it was convinient for you. Some people enjoy it, and if I didn't have kids at home that I homeschool it would be one thing. There are no exceptions to the rules if your kids are over 5yo too bad you have to go in ..
  • The think the biggest reason is probably the inconvenience involved.
  • Some people can't afford the time off work. Some people might not want the notoriety if the case is a high-profile one. Some don't want the responsibility. Any number of reasons, really.
  • i have been called for jury duty 3X.two of these were for federal jury duty....i drive over the road truck. i stay out 3-4 wks at a time. the instructions for jury members were to call the court every day to see if you were needed for duty the next day .you can see that this would not work in my case...each time i was summoned,i was excused after 1 phone call to the clerk.
  • i agree with the others, i have never been called to jury duty *knocks on wood* but i wouldn't want to take time off work, find a babysitter, you know the whole time and not wanting to situation.
  • I've been on jury duty six times. I don't mind it at all. I get to sleep later and it's not so far to drive as when I have to go to work. The first time (1979) it was a lot of sitting around and waiting while the attorneys haggled. Since then they have revised the system here and they only call jurors when the case is ready to go to trial. There are 2 types of cases - criminal and civil. You can get what a criminal case would involve just from the name. A civil case is when someone sues another for money because of some negligence involved like a medical malpractice. Twelve jurors and four alternates are needed for a criminal case. Six jurors and two alternates are needed for a civil case. Now the most time-consuming thing is the "vior dire" or jury selection, where each of the attorneys must interview and question each prospective juror. Some of the questions can get pretty personal. Then they all must agree on each candidate. Ninety percent of the panel is eliminated this way. Then it will depend on how long the case is expected to take which can be a few hours to weeks depending on the witnesses, testimony, etc. The last jury I sat on was a civil case that took 2 weeks, excluding Labor Day, back in 2002.
  • - Loss of work. - Boring. - uncomfortable with judging others. - transportation problems. - responsible for care of child or elderly. I know of people who refuse to register to vote inorder to avoid this possiblity.
  • I try to get out of it because its really boring.