ANSWERS: 8
  • The glue that get's burned isn't.Not smart.
  • "Don't use your fireplace or wood-burning stove to burn cardboard, wrapping paper or garbage, which give off toxic chemicals as they burn. Never burn painted or treated wood, ocean driftwood, particle-board or plywood, which give off toxic chemicals as they burn." Source and further information: http://www.canadian-health-network.ca/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1127088401994&pagename=CHN-RCS/CHNResource/CHNResourcePageTemplate&c=CHNResource
  • No, those products all contain toxins and chemicals that you shouldn't be breathing in and shouldn't be going up your chimney. And no colored newsprint or plywood or pressure treated wood.
  • In addition to the chemicals the ashes are both messy and could float around, creating a fire hazzard.
  • I am not sure whether it is safe or not but I have now stopped burning it. There seems to be no safety information on this stuff. I have burned a lot of chipboard kind of materials - kitchen units etc thinking I was doing the planet a favour by using it as fuel - but based on what people have told me (anecdotal) it is not safe. However, there does not appear to be any safety information from the suppliers - and they do have a duty of care to inform of any safety risks. The only thing that concerns me is that it stinks - wood does not usually smell like this? I have also done a lot of cardborad/paper compression into logs and they stink the house out too. I have young children and I am now getting concerned that it could possibly contain chemicals. I don't know which way to go - save the planet for them or poison them? I would appreciate some clear (non-anecdotal) information from manufacturers, scientists, and government. What should we burn and what should we not burn. It was only a few years ago I stopped burning plastic. I am not a chemist but I thought it was made from oil - however a local recycling company told me it may contain chemicals, yet there was no warning information on the products saying they should not be burned. Very confusing.
  • I wouldn't. You are vapourizing everything in the material, including formaldehyde, resins and glues. None of that stuff is good to breathe. Some of it may condense in your flue to coat it with flammable materials to explode into a flue fire later. By the way, Jestyr, have you read the Jester has Lost His Jingle?
  • ONLY IF YOU HAVE A GOOD SCREEN TO PROTECT THE INSIDE OF HOME FROM FIREPLACE AND SCREEN IN PIPE OR OVER TOP OF PIPE SO NO SPARKS CAN LEAVE YOUR PIPE, BUT FIREPLACES DONT GIVE OFF HARDLY ANY HEAT, BUT IF YOU PUT A AIRTIGHT INSERT IN THE FIREPLACE, NO SCREEN IS NECESSARY FOR INSIDE OF HOME AND IT WILL HEAT UP YOUR ROOM/HOME.
  • if youre not sure, dont do it

Copyright 2020, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy