• Hard is relative. Different people struggle with different aspects of training I struggled with staying awake in class. And running. Some people were set back for various reasons or kicked out. Sylvia Cariaga used to stand in front of me when we were in alphabetical order. She got set back for academic reasons, but we went to the same apprenticeship training and the same ship. The CC's are not allowed to hit you as a form of discipline anymore, but they will punish you physically with exercise or restriction. One woman had to yell into a clean metal garbage can "Its not o.k. to say o.k. one ma'am...!" etc. If you're gonna cry if someone screams in your face then its probably not for you. Then again, it was a long time ago. I imagine a lot has changed. And maybe different branches have different practices in their boot camps. The tear gas was not at all pleasant! But the effects are temporary. The fires you have to learn how to put out are hot! That's one reason I passed when offered fire fighting school. I was trained on a damage control party on the ship, that was enough for me! Those are some powerful hoses!
  • Not if you take Tony Horton's P90X Boot Camp workout. 😉
      Yeah? Do they have a 'workout' for the academic tests?
    • Jenny Rizzo is brilliant ⭐
      Actually, Tony Horton has worked directly with members of the US military. If you purchase his DVD's, you will see how his workouts involve real boot camp training.
      Real exercises, maybe. But not real training. The physical part is not the most important part of training. The psychological stress is what pushes you though. The focus on teamwork, the harsh discipline and the the ability to function under stress is what makes the military work. IMO
      Oh yeah! Getting cycled (as a team) because OTHERS quit was no fun either! Marching through the puddles in your brand new boots till your feet were bloody from blisters.
      Character building, Linda. Discipline. Overcoming obstacles. Sucking up the pain to continue with the mission. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. I actually had to have the corpsman cut my socks off my feet after completing the Crucible and was forced to wear tennis shoes for the next 3 days, which to me was humiliating at the time. It sucks. And it's supposed to. That's why one of our little mantras is "Embrace the Suck."
  • It's not meant to be easy. If everyone could get in the Marines, we wouldn't be Marines.
  • War is difficult.
      "It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - Gen Robert E Lee