• The last time I saw the new citizens being sworn in they gave their oath the official language they would use is English.
      Good point! But what if it's not a citizen but a visiting relative? Probably a student studying here would know this much and tell a relative at least this much but what about migrant workers? I've served people who ordered by pointing to the menu. We got it done even though I still don't know how he wanted his steak cooked
    • Rick Myres
      I was addressing your words "since the US doesn't have an official language" lol. But I know about them having their difficulties with reading and speaking English. -:) 4:25AM 7/1/18
      The US doesn't have an official language. It's just an assumption many Americans who don't know better just assume.
    • Rick Myres
      I never saw any debate about till now. I always had the idea we had one. Now especially at the swearing in ceremony on TV. They stressed we have one before they had them raise their hands to swear them in.
      Show me! Show me, Mr. Missouri! show me your source and I'll show you mine! Hahaha! "The United States does not have an official language, but some state governments recognize specific languages. For instance, the state government of Louisiana offers services and documents in French, as does New Mexico in Spanish. There are many languages indigenous to North America or to U.S. states or holdings in the Pacific region. Hawaiian, although having few native speakers, is an official language along with English of the state of Hawaii. Alaska officializes English and twenty native languages." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States.
    • Rick Myres
      All I know is I saw and heard it on TV. So I am not going to debate what I saw and heard. Even though I already saw that online during a search. -:)
  • Yes, law enforcement should know how to give basic commands in multiple languages!! Russian, Chinese, Italian, Swedish, Swahili, Arabic and Australian.
      I haven't learned how to do that yet! That's impressive to me! But I'm an egocentric American sometimes. I'm trying to do better. I should take a language my first year back to school. Hahaha that just reminded me of the old Rodney Dangerfield movie! I could take French and you could teach me the pillows talk to give thinker "something to talk about" .
      You didn't read my whole answer, did you?
      Yes.
      Yeah, I didn't think so, but it's good of you to admit it.
      I did read it and I don't appreciate you calling me a liar! I don't claim to know what languages are 'most popular' or which ones they should know. But I'm NOT A LAIR!
      Why what?
    • Vittorio 'Sam' Manunta-Lowell
      Why should they, everyone understands handcuffs!
      Have you ever been in handcuffs?
    • Vittorio 'Sam' Manunta-Lowell
      Once, I was arrested for nonpayment of ticket. Later We discovered that some Hispanic cashier wrote my name using B instead of V for my first name!
  • Each nation should have its own official language. People who visit other nations should know some of the languages of the nations they visit. I was born in Japan, and I have lived in the USA several times, including now. I learned English before I came tot he USA. Cops doo not need to know many languages.
      I prefer we remain open and inclusive. The US is a 'melting pot. We are a the best diversity has to offer. People who want one race one language one culture should go to the place they can have that and leave us to be what we are.
    • Roaring
      I agree with your comment Linda Joy. Our countries greatest quality is that we are not specifically defined by one ethnicity or religion. to add to the dialogue, the more educated the police are on different ethnicities, particularly in the community they are serving, the more effective/respected they will be at their work. A huge problem is systemic prejudice(racism) that allows an officer to shoot an unarmed black man/minority in the back with little to no accountability/consequences.
      Thank you for agreeing diversity is one of our strongest assets, but I believe everyone in America now has the same opportunities to progress. And the facts are that police kill more whites than blacks (or any other race) that blacks are more likely to kill another black than all the police shootings combined, and blacks commit more crime per capita than any other race. I'm not racist. These are simply the facts. Blacks need to start living up to their potential to be upstanding respectable citizens before most people are going to respect them as such. That said, I think every human being deserves to be treated with dignity and respect and no one regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, sex, looks, intelligence or any other stupid reason should be bullied or blamed for what someone else did. Including blaming white people for what their ancestors did! Or thinking all blacks are criminals.
      Oh boy, here we go with the "shooting the poor black folks..."
  • it might not be a bad idea
  • The guns they have are a universal language. Its pointed at you,you put your hands up and kneel down.
  • Why? If you want to come to this country, you're expected to know the laws. That means the police officers' commands also. It's under the general principal of "ignorantia juris non excusat." Remember, the police do not have a duty to protect individuals.
  • probably