• My first answer didn't show up, so I'm sorry if this posts twice. I've been saying we should do away with tipping for the longest time! Tipping should be optional- not an obligation placed on me due to a business not having to pay a liveable wage. I always tip well, but I hate it. There is a restaurant here that pays $13+ an hour to all staff and tipping is not allowed. I love going there. The service is great. The menu is not overpriced.
  • Also, it really grinds my gears when pizza places charge a delivery fee ($3 sometimes!) and it doesn't go to the driver! The driver pays for his own insurance, gas etc. And then I have to tip them too. How does the business justify charging a delivery fee while paying waitress wages to drivers?
      when I delivered pizza I got paid slightly more than minimum wage and 50 cents per run (for vehicle maintenance) plus my tip and they paid me cash to catch the dishes up! All I had to do was deliverpizza And fold boxes. And I was the only delivery driver during lunch.
  • I don't understand why my daughter tips the folks at Starbucks (which I absolutely hate anyway). They're making minimum wage, why the tip?
      For good service? I don't go there either.
    • Hardcore Conservative
      They why not tip the guy behind the counter at McDonald's? Their coffee tastes like shit anyway, but it seems they have the air of superiority so tipping is expected.
    • Cats & Dolphins
      I've wondered that too. You have to tip the pizza delivery person ob top of the delivery fee. I think it's a way for these places just to make more money. Where I am the delivery fee is at least $3.50.
  • it dont bother me if they did a good job
  • Bothers me only when it is expected, or mandatory -- seems to be missing the point.
  • I think it is insulting to have the "gratuity" included in the bill. This is a way fro them to ensure that even the worst service gets tipped well. I will not eat at a place where it is included. If i see a waiter or waitress working their feathers off i will leave a couple of dollars on the table and then slip her more money just in case it is a place where they have to divide their tips
  • It should be done away with. Not all countries have tipping; the U.k. does not. In fact in some countries it's considered rude to leave a tip. The restaurants should pay their employees a decent wage.
  • Pay them a good wage and do away with tipping
  • Japanese have it right