• talk to them to find out if and when they can pay, and be very patient...
  • See why they are having troubles and find programs that could possibly help them get through the tight time they are experiencing.
  • If I don't need the money then I'll let em stay, if I need it then I need it...
  • if i am running a business and I use the building to put food in my family's mouth, I can help them find programs to qualify for rent subsidy to help with the rent but absent that I have little choice but to evict them. If i need to feed my family and pay the mortgage on the building, what choice do I have?
  • Throw them out into the streets and laugh maniacally.
  • I would try to find their children and inform them of what is happening. If they don't have family, I guess I would call the council on aging (if they have that where you live) and explain to them what is happening and see if they can help becuase you can't afford to shelter them.
  • Find out if it was a temporary or permanent challenge they are facing, see what i can do to help them with governament aid if needed and take it form there. I would not put them out unless i absolutely had no choice but to do so and even then i would only do so if i had secured other lodging for them.
  • Contact your local chapter of St. Vincent de Paul or Catholic Charities. In many cases, they have money to help people pay their rent if the people need temporary assistance until a new job starts up, family can be contacted, etc.
  • If I could locate an agency to HELP THEM...or family members of theirs...I would do so. But, I cannot afford to pay the mortgage on my rental property without receiving the rent I charge (which is a bit less than the actual Mortgage anyway!) So, if I couldn't find someone to help them, I would sadly need to serve them notice...and still probably work to find them some sort of would totally bother me to have to kick someone like that out...but I can't afford to loose my house either!
  • I would evict them right away. You are setting a bad precident by allowing them to stay rent free. In other words, depending on where you live, you could be forced to allow them to stay rent free because you let them miss rent payments. I would offer them $300 bucks to be out by the end of the week and you will forgive the back rent. Do it asap.
  • So the elderly couple is not your tenant. They are your son's tenant. You have no control or interest in if/when they pay. That is your son's problem. You already bought him a house, now he wants his mommy to handle his renter problems too? Tell your son to man up and pay his rent on time. Why he's having problems is not your fault. It's not the outlaws taking advantage of you it's your son. I guess, since you raised him, you are reeping what you sowed. Teach him that free has no value, and take my original advise, and offer him $300 to be out by the end of the week. I wouldn't be surprised if the parents payed him, but he didn't pay you. Typical 3rd party blame technique. I bet they have cell phones, cable TV, drink and smoke. You know, the important things, other than rent. If you don't want to be the bad guy, tell them you can't afford to keep the house and it's going up for sale. That they need to get out. Then call a realtor. List it for a high price, it won't sell... and then rent it out after they are gone. Tough love!
  • First, find out why the rent is late and determine whether it's a temporary problem or a permanent problem. Take along referrals to Goodwill, the food stamp program, and anything else you think might be helpful. If it's a temporary problem (money needed for a family funeral) and you don't want to lose the tenant, let it slide or accept bartered labor in the form of house cleaning or baking. Make sure it's a one-time situation. One option is to dip into the damage deposit for the rent and to let the tenants catch up a little bit at a time each month. If the problem is permanent, odds are you can't fix it. The problem may not be what you think it is: it could be dementia or a medical problem preventing someone from leaving the house. Since I rent to elderly and disabled tenants a lot, this is a fact of life. A lot of the time people deteriorate health-wise and they need more care than they can get renting a room with me. As sad as it may be, it's time for them to move on to a group home or some kind of assisted living or nursing home. Second, enforce the contract. It's not much fun, however unless you're qualified to actually *be* a case worker or to operate a free nursing home, or unless you're prepared to accept the extra work and responsibility of caring for your tenants rent-free the rest of their lives, you need to move them out. Ironically, as long as you provide them with a safe, free place to live they are not eligible for most government or church run assistance programs. You may also be enabling slacker children and grandchildren who are capable of helping out but who choose not to. Many families who don't want to take in Mom or Dad will be willing to take advantage of your kindness as long as they can.
  • Why is this a problem, you are enabling your son's wife to keep her parents in her home when they are elderly and disabled. Does that not make them your family too? As someone who cares for elderly family I would encourage you to find every available resource out there, food stamps, food bank, budget counseling, rent subsidies, some states even pay a family member to be a caregiver. these programs are there for people who really need them but I would never say one should evict elderly or disabled or family, much less all of the above. What would you be teaching your son and your grandchildren about life, and how you would like to be treated when you get to that stage of life? Please do what you can as a family to work together to meet your budget, more than anything the elderly need family at their side.
  • I'd talk to them first, with your son and his wife in attendance. Explain that you are not running a free shelter, and NEED the payment each month, in full. Find out why they are not making it. If it is, indeed, that the tenants cannot afford to pay, for whatever reason, then have your son's wife (her family, after all) look into assistance programs. I know here, in my town, the landlord has to start court-ordered eviction proceedings before any group will help with paying back rent/current rent. Offer to help them find resources, if you feel like it. If they say they are not able, and are doing things like smoking heavily, eating a lot of junk food, etc... then tell them they have to pay up or get out. Tell them, then enforce, eviction proceedings. As sad as it is to say, they are NOT your responsibility. If your son's wife loves them, SHE will belly up to the bar and take the responsibility of caring for them. It may cause problems, depending on the personalities involved, between your son, his wife, and you. BUT you sometimes have to show some tough love. Their lives are not yours, and if they impact you in a negative manner, you need to do what you must, to fix that.
  • Try to notify there family to help in their assistance. After that, there's only one other choice. When they quit paying rent they stoped being tenants and became freeloaders. You'll have to evict them following the proper legal procedures.

Copyright 2020, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy