• Many music companies or download services (e.g. iTunes) will sell you a copy of a file or of a complete recording. This is how the companies collect royalties in a controlled and legal fashion. Many musicians will offer free songs on their websites for promotional purposes; some may even sell them. These are all legal downloads. There is no way to track and pay royalties for files that you may share with someone else, without having the royalty owner monitoring your computer activity. They don't do that, because it wouldn't work reliably if they tried. Frankly, I can give a thousand copies of a song away and no one has any way of tracking that distribution back to me if I am careful. If you are concerned about paying royalties (applause), ensure that you buy your music from legitimate sites or make copies for yourself from disks you buy (if such copying is allowed in your country).
  • not that i know of
  • In theory yes but if you are talking about any kind of music or art that has wide spread popular distribution then, in reality, no. The entities that hold those rights have lucrative contracts with other companies that restricts who, if anyone, can also buy rights to the work.