• Prior to the town's establishment, the land was an American Revolutionary War grant given to Colonel Archibald Lytle and his brother William Lytle. Around 1790, the grandparents of Watertown's founder, Wilson L. Waters, moved into the area. In 1845, the post office moved from nearby Three Forks to Wilson's store. Waters expanded his operations with a sawmill, gristmill and blacksmith shop. Waters' 400-acre farm eventually became Watertown. The Tennessee Central RailwayNashville and Knoxville Railroad built a depot in Watertown in 1885 making it the hub of business in the area. The increased business led to a doubling of the village's size. In 1903, a fire swept through the wood structures of the village, destroying many of the businesses in the village. During the recovery period following the fire, a town square surrounded by brick building was laid out, creating the core of the current city of Watertown. Source:

Copyright 2020, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy