ANSWERS: 1
  • The Mormon pioneers came to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. A pioneer group called the Mississippi Saints arrived one year later and began to develop a scattered settlement in the south end of the valley in the fall of 1848. The area was distinguished by various names such as the Mississippi Ward, Cottonwood, Big Cottonwood, and South Cottonwood. Written history states that at least 20 families were living in the South Cottonwood area in the 1860s. The area remained agricultural until 1869 when a body of ore was found in Park City and additional ore was found in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Because of its central location and access to the railroad, the first smelter was built in Murray in 1870 and Murray became the home of some of the largest smelters in the region over the next 30 years. The first official post office was established in 1870 as the South Cottonwood Post Office. The area changed over time as the railroad came in, smelting expanded, the territorial road (later known as State Street) was established, and trolley transportation was developed. A business district also began to develop along the transportation corridor. The City received its present name from the post office which officially changed its name from South Cottonwood Post Office to Murray Post Office in 1883 after the civil war general, Eli Murray Who was assigned to Utah after the war. Murray was never a Governor. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray%2C_Utah

Copyright 2023, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy