ANSWERS: 1
  • The chemicals in moth balls, naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene, have potential health risks, according to the National Pesticide Information Center.

    Skin Contact

    Naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene can be absorbed through your skin and cause irritation, according to Purdue University.

    Inhalation

    Purdue University indicates that inhaling the vapors of moth balls can irritate your eyes, lungs, nose and throat. It can also result in headaches and confusion

    Toxicity

    Moth balls are poisonous when ingested and can result in seizures in less than an hour.

    Long-term Exposure

    According to Purdue University, long-term exposure to the vapors of moth balls can result in liver damage and may lead to the formation of cataracts.

    Environment

    According to the Silent Menace, moth balls used outdoors can seep into ground water, creating a hazard to drinking water.

    Warning

    According to Purdue University, it is suspected that paradichlorobenzene is a carcinogen.

    Source:

    National Pesticide Information Center

    Moth Balls

    Dangers of Moth Balls

Copyright 2018, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy