• From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM#Big_Blue Big Blue is a nickname for IBM; several theories exist regarding its origin. One theory, substantiated by people who worked for IBM at the time, is that IBM field reps coined the term in the 1960s, referring to the color of the mainframes IBM installed in the 1960s and early 1970s. "All blue" was a term used to describe a loyal IBM customer, and business writers later picked up the term.[12][13] Another theory suggests that Big Blue simply refers to the Company's logo. A third theory suggests that Big Blue refers to a former company dress code that required many IBM employees to wear blue suits.[14][12]
  • In the late 1970's there was a well know TV commercial for Brillo soap pads. They claimed that Brillo was better than SOS soap pads. In that commercial, the Brillo pad was referred to as 'Big Blue' ( the color of the pad. The SOS pad was pink). IBM began to be called 'Big Blue' in the late 1970's as a funny takeoff on the Brillo commercial by the mainframe computer people at that time. I was there. I clearly remember someone at work referring to IBM as 'Big Blue' for the first time, and we all laughed and knew it was a takeoff on the advertisement. I am not saying this person coined the phrase; I am saying he was the first person I ever heard use it.