ANSWERS: 3
  • It was from an under ripe potato. It is harmless.
  • Potatoes turn green when exposed to sunlight. The green is chlorophyll but can indicate the presence of solanine which is a toxic chemical. The amount of solanine in a couple of chips is negligible, but you should not eat a lot of potatoes with green. Even if you trim the green(chlorophyll) there may still be enough solanine to cause sickness. It may be carcinogenic if ingested in quantity over an extended period.
  • It means the potato was exposed to light at some time. I don't eat potatoes with green on them. A few little bits isn't bad but it contains solanine which does build up in the body and it is toxic. I don't want to take a chance since I know I've had them in the past.

Copyright 2018, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy