• go to uni and study hard
  • You go to school..make very good grades..then you go to college and get good grades..then you go to Med. School and get good grades.
  • your buy a piece of paper and you put it in a frame, and call yourself doctor. if your serious , you go to college and study.
  • you goin to skool wether it is a university or in an ally
  • A Psychiatrist is a person who is licensed as a physician and surgeon and shows evidence of having completed three years graduate training in psychiatry in a program approved by the American Medical Association or the American Osteopathic Association. There are other levels of achievement in the field that can require less training, such as social worker, Mental Health worker, and marriage/family counselor. For a full listing of the requirements, see this link:
  • graduate from high school with excellent grades and gain admission to a competitive college. spend four years in college studying biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, and a few other courses. apply for admission to medical schools - usually a lot of them. once you're admitted, you take more classes in physiology, anatomy, pharmacology, etc. you partake in rotations in various specialties for brief periods of time, like endocrinology, neurology, oncology, internal medicine, cardiology, psychiatry ... after you graduate from the 4 year medical school curriculum, you take a one year internship, usually looking at general kids of stuff. next, you apply for a psychiatry residency. it is there where you learn about psychiatric disorders and the medicines that are used to treat them. after, usually, 3 years of this, you can, if you're a glutton for more punishment, invest another several years in order to specialize in psychoanalysis, child and adolescent psychiatry, forensic psychiatry ... psychologists go to college for 4 years. then, they go to graduate school for 3 to 6 years, studying personality, growth, family dynamics, counseling techniques, tests and measures ... they then usually go to a general one year internship and, according to the policies of the various states, complete one to two years of specialized experience. both require a doctorate. for the purposes of counseling, i'd almost always go with the psychologist. there are lots of counselors out there - ministers, sustance abuse counselors, social workers, marriage and family counselors, professional counselors. this group generally has taken a few courses in something psychology related but usually has only 2 graduate years' of experience versus the 8 years that psychologists obtain. if, on the other hand, you simply need medication, a psychiatrist is usually a better choice. in some rural areas in which the nearest psychiatrist is an hour or two or three's drive, i think that the person might weigh the possibility of getting psychotropic medications from their general practitioner. some rural communities have set up telecommunications consulting systems with the state medical school, so that you and your GP can sit down over the television with a psychiatrist and obtain usually quite good medication advice. if you can't do that, if you can get a psychologist working closely with your GP, like in rural communities without such specialists, sometimes you can hit gold. i remember when i was in boy scouts, i wanted to know the answer to this question. i made an appointment with a gentleman from the local mental health center who answered all of my questions. best of luck to you!!!
  • 8-25-2017 First you have to be an MD.

Copyright 2023, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy