• Great question. I have a theory, but I'll keep it to myself for awhile. When you have a satisfactory answer for yourself, please let me know. beto0880@gmail.com
  • he died so we would believe.
  • You have to remember that God is God and He creates His rules. In the Old Testament the forgivness of sins could only be given by the shedding of blood. Bulls and rams and lambs and other animals were sacrificed and their blood (their life giving force) drained out for the remission of sins. Jesus , the Lamb of God, had to be killed as the final sacrifice for the sins of the world. And by His shed blood we are forgiven.
  • My theory is that God, being nonexistent, can't forgive us of anything. But I don't think that was the answer for which you were looking.
  • Jesus is not the embodiment of God (Allah). He was a great prophet. He did not die for our sins. God does forgive us.
  • Sin separates us from God and the wages of sin is death. Someone had to pay for our sins, and God decided to do it Himself through Jesus Christ. There will never be a stronger love than what He has shown us through His blood..
  • That is a great point. I would give you 1000 points if I could. It is so sad that christians try to avoid this obvious point and spend copious amounts of time searching through scriptures.
  • Because if God just forgave without sacrifice, then he would be rewarding our rejection of him.
  • I'm guessing he owed a bookie money. The whole "somebody had to pay" bullshit makes no sense because God should be able to do what he wants, including forgive sins.
  • Jesus is God, He is more than the embidiment. He condescende to be born as a man in order to fulfil all that was promised in the revealed word of God. Jesus Christ died according to the scriptures was buried according to the scriptures and rose again according to the scriptures. The reason he died was for the forgiveness of sin which cannot be achieved (according to the scriptures)except by the blood sacrifice of an innocent victim. All of the shed blood of animals cannot achieve that it is only the perfect sacrifice of the Lamb Of God Who did take away the sins of the world for all who believe.
  • Because not only is God a loving and forgiving and merciful God, He is also a JUST God. God sent His Son, Jesus Christ, who was both God and man to pay our sin debt because He was the only sinless, perfect sacrifice to pay what justice demanded-- condemnation and eternal death.
  • This is one of the "mysteries" which Christianity cannot easily explain but has as its most basic tenet. It is an article of faith. From a purely "historical" view, Jesus, provided he was who he said he was, could not deny or retract it to a secular power simply to save himself from a tortuous death,..and he could have. In fact, he could have avoided the confrontation altogether. He did not have to be in Jerusalem. On the higher level, for all we know, the creation of the world, the universe, cost God nothing. But, to eliminate the "veil" that separated us in our sins from Him cost God a great deal. Something actually very "painful" to the Divine Being and His nature, which the suffering of Christ is a physical and historical assertion. Sorry, best I can do on short notice.
  • Your thinking is in perfect alignment with the Kingdom Gospel that Christ himself was preaching... it was about thinking of God as a loving Father, and not as an angry deity that needed to be apeased by a blood sacrifice. So you are right, and the theologians are wrong. This will explain what I am talking about: http://gospelenigma.com That resource makes the important distinction between the Kingdom Gospel and the gopsel from Paul we hear these days.
  • Jesus sacrificed himself for us because we are sinners. I am going to heaven because my sins have already been forgiven. Why do I even need religion now? Religion is easier to understand by being a non-believer. It just makes more sense.
  • yup, I mean if god created everything and god makes the rules all he would have to do is just kiss it and make it all better...who says god had to sacrifice anyone at all...and if we are all god's children what makes jesus so special? Why is an all powerful god bound by any rules? Who's rules? who writes the rules? I mean you know if I had a child and basically at birth threw him out into the woods and said there ya go and never helped him and than with a handy dandy guide I wrote for him , only watched from afar and maybe showed up once in awhile to punish him for some weird rule I had made in my book I gave him that he barely can make any sense of, people would call me a bad father. Yet that is what has been done to us, thrown out into this world by some guy in the sky we never see and expected to live in a a universal set of rules yet believe outside of them with unflinching faith. The bible is full of this nonsense, wouldn't you think if there was an all loving god he would just make himself known, be a cool dude and make everything copesetic? I mean wouldn't he and I and you be a lot happier if we just did away with all this sin business, made some clear cut well worded rules and then lived happily ever after? Why all the confusion and secrecy and symbology and such? What lesson is there to be learned in life other than we will die. There is no proof of anything, even the most faithful will doubt. What good is free will when no one knows for sure and cannot make a fair choice? man, glad I'm not religious, that's a lot to have to drag around with you.
  • Look at it as gesture of faith to know someone could love you so much he would go through unbearable pain for you. That he would always be willing to suffer for you.
  • The illusion of false fable and ideals is always at war with reality. Having [discovered] at the very young age of 17 that all these beautiful legends are mythical and non-human, I will not allow my children to be misled for life by false teachings about a supposed god who came in human flesh sliding down to earth on a ladder with no steps to it, then asks us to walk up the same ladder without the footholds. I wish not to have my beautiful children to be beguiled by a false teaching of a vivisecting deity whose victim was his own son--a doctrine of "saving ourselves" by means of the suffering inflicted upon an innocent fellow who supposedly came once and whose "second coming" has been looked for in vain for the last 1800 years. Any individual who would consent to have his/her ass "saved" at the expense of an innocent person, ought only to escape--if at all--because he/she would not be worth the damning! I don't give a crap if you downrate me! For all I care every single point I have accumulated you can have it! My business here is not about any damn points! The LORD of all does not carry on the business of the universe as an advertised system of bribes and fines. I don't care what your argument is. We cannot outset on one line of conduct that which we have done on another. No death of a thousand Jesus can "save" us from ourselves. From the time I was 5 years old up to the age of 16 I had to listen to my own father--a baptist pastor--day in and day out, the same worn out sermons of a backward doctrine where the innocent is castigated and the guilty spared; which is a complete reversal of the common law of civilization in which all sane persons should be held responsible for their own deeds and not acquited because the innocent may have suffered for the guilty. Such a doctrine would have rotted the backbone out of all manhood and womanhood if men and women were no better than their professed beliefs, and had not been fed from other and healthier fountains of life.
  • Christ is the second member of the Godhead, the first being God the Father, and the third being the Holy Ghost. Therefore while Christ was on earth, God the Father remained in Heaven overseeing our mortal probation, through which Christ still needed to pass through to become exactly as God the Father, to become like His Father. We, on a much lesser scale, are doing the same thing. SO: Two reasons. First, Adam's sin brought death into the world at no fault of our own. God is just, therefore the resurrection wrought by Christ remedies that, and we will all live forever regardless of what we do here. However, HOW we spend living forever depends on #2. Second, we are imperfect sinners, and nothing unclean can enter into the kingdom of God. God wants us to come home, but God won't tolerate the presence in a spotless kingdom of someone who loves to murder and rape. Therefore, we have our mortal life to become the best we can with the varying degrees of knowledge God has given us. God wishes for us to live with Him and have all that He has, but to do that we must BECOME WHO he wants us to become. Would you grant the greatest blessings of Heaven to someone who would selfishly squander and abuse them? Of course not. So, just like our children grow and learn in life to one day mature as we have, so too do we grow and learn and slowly patter our lives after Christ. BECAUSE WE WILL MESS UP, and fall into traps and addictions,and in doing so the enemy of god, satan, gains influence and sway in our lives. We would need someone who would understand what we were going through and who would be able to help us back. CHRIST WAS PERFECT AND HAD NO SIN. Therefore, He also did not personally know the AFFECTS of sin. THIS IS WHY HE HAD TO SUFFER. By taking on him our sins, He experienced the full affects of our sins without having to sin Himself. THIS GAVE HIM THE ABILITY TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT WE WERE GOING THROUGH, AND TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT WE NEEDED TO COME BACK. That is the reason, plain and simple. Christ isn't our "whipping boy", He is our healer and guide. Every time we hurt, are afraid, feel lost, frustrated, violated, neglected, hated, whatever, He has felt it to its full effect and therefore know better than any being how to help us, how to love us, and how to heal us. Because of this, IF we are willing to turn from our sins and seek him, He will help and heal us becuase he intimately know how to do it. But thats the condition, we must forsake the behaviours in our life that cause these adverse affects, and pattern our lives after his perfect example with the intent of not racking up a series of credits, but to actually BECOME a different, more perfect person than we are now. And as we try to do this (try, because obviously we will stumble and fall) he forgives us and blesses our efforts with his unlimited power and love. And that is the great gift God the Father has given us, His son Jesus Christ, to help us back to him so we don't have to do it alone while seperated from Him (the Father) because of our imperfections. Sorry if I was long-winded.......hope this helps a little. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.
  • He could have but then people wouldn't fear him.
  • And that is what we should do.
  • Jesus was in total agreement with his father in heaven [ Jehovah]...this does not make him the same identity...the two are separate... Jesus was created by his father... Jesus was obedient to his father. Jesus was SENT to us by his father. Jesus prayed to his father. So he is NOT his father.