• Financially disadvantaged, yes. Poor, no! My mother was a mentally damaged single parent of 7 girls in the 50's and 60's The social reforms and birth control didn't happen too soon!
  • We were so poor ... that we lived in cardboard boxes under the bridge. At first I had to sleep in the same box as my grandfather and didn't get my own box until my 8th birthday. My dad (his version of the story) was able to wrestle it away from the garbage truck guys. I think they felt sorry for us and just let him take it because he smelled worse than the garbage truck. ...
      Was it cold where you were?
      I was joking about the boxes, but yes ...Canadian winters have always very been cold.
      Oh, good about the boxes, and after living in Maine I can only imagine about the cold! (Shivers)
    • Satanic Guy
      I use boxes to do ouijas and to My Daemons
  • No, but now I'm a poor adult.
      Maybe, but from what I've seen in your post you are also rich!
    • Anoname
      Bless you.
      I am very blessed! Thank you! You are one of those blessings!
  • Not dirt poor but hand-me-downs, PB&J sandwiches and Mac n Cheese was our main meals. Didn't get my first new pair of pants till I was in 8th grade though.
      I know this feeling! A few of the clothes I wore had previously been worn by all 6 of my older sisters! I'm not familiar with man n cheese. What is that?
      I remember coming home from school one day and finding a new pair of blue jeans on my bed.
      Oh no! How do I delete these duplicates? Lol
    • Mr PantsFellDown
      LOL. You cannot. (But you could make them blank.) (I think man and cheese is actually mac and cheese (macaroni and cheese....33 cents a box back then.
    • Cruiser - IYNGUYCPL
      Yeah mac n cheese....edited to correct
      I can still get Mac n cheese for. 33 a box at Aldi! One of my favorites still!
    • Mr PantsFellDown
      Oh Aldis is cheap like Wal-Mart used to be. So is Price Rite. That's where my groceries come from. ..Yea, you know you're poor when you can no longer afford to shop at Wal-Mart.
      Lol you got that right! I walk around Wal-Mart saying oooh that's cute followed by dang that's high!
  • Thankfully I have never been poor. I have always been well off.
  • We were born poor and had to move to a downsized place, went to 4 schools during that time. I thought I would break the poverty curse however I failed my sister however did. Live alone now and it's really bad when you have to count every single dime. You never really fall far from where you came from.
    • Mr PantsFellDown
      Statistically, no. The best one can hope for is a slight improvement. No jumping up to the upper class. (It's okay though. Those people didn't get what they have through hard work. Mumsy and Dadsy funded them at the start, and from there they just had to show up.)
      You can always strive to do better for yourself though. Some people work hard for their money too though! My mom tried, bless her heart, but she spent her life dousing fires and treading water. She didn't have more than an 8th grade education. She quit 9th grade to get married! Bam the woman had 3 kids by the time she was 18! Holy Cow! She had 5 by the time she was 22 and 7 by 28! The woman was popping them out like a pez dispenser! The older girls assumed parenting roles early in life to help care for the younger kids so mom can go to work. Yeah, mom was my hero from the time she jumped up (yeah, my mom was a shortie, too) and slapped her first husband in the face, came down on the rug, the rug slipped beneath her feet and she landed on her butt! for calling her bad names. He was my first molester. Anyway she dusted off her pride, stood up and told him 'you can stand out there in the street and call me every name in the book, but you will not curse me in my own home! That's when I learned my mom was a badazz! Since then I've learned violence shouldn't be your first choice, but if you're forced to use it's ok to fight dirty when you're as short as I am! Lol!!
  • We weren't poor but they were so frugal it seemed like it at times. One winter when me and my litter sister went out sledding, mom put socks on our hands secured by a rubber band. They would get soaking wet after making a snowball or two. The younger sisters often got hand me downs. And forget holloween in kindergarten, at the last minute mom dressed me a a girl with lipstick, wig and hat. I refused to go that way, so was the only kid that wasn't dressed up. Although Easter you could count on a new spring outfit(even though it might be polyester)
      The socks were probably cotton. Its good at wicking up water, oil and other fuels. My mother loved polyester! She said' I'll never have to iron again! I guess that was life changing for a mother with 7 girls! Pure cotton wrinkles easily. I think wool is good at holding in body heat even when it gets wet. I remember getting a new dress for Easter and new shoes And two new outfits for back to school. I had a surplus of gauze one Halloween so dressed one of my boys up as a mummy.
    • Roaring
      Yes they were cotton. I got to appreciate wool later on. Did you see the old musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers? (seven sisters made me think of this)
  • 4-21-2017 My family was so poor we had to split a four way cold tablet five ways.