by ggonnigan on June 13th, 2005

ggonnigan

Question

Help answer this question below.

What programs are available to assist convicted felons in gaining employment?

• Like
  • Report

Answers

Answers. 130 helpful answers below.

• by FelonResources on June 30th, 2005

FelonResources

There are several programs available for ex-offenders. The Work Opportunity Tax Credit is available to employers as an incentive to hire felons. The Federal Bonding Program is another employer incentive, and ALL WorkForce development offices have counselors that help felons find employment. The Workforce Investment Act (WIA) provides funding for training and tools needed for a felon to aquire responsible and gainful employment. I have done extensive research on this subject and will be posting a lot of information on my web site www.felonresources.com in the near future. You may also want to consider temporary employment agencies. Many of them go out of their way to find employment for felons and many of these jobs are temp to hire. Please e-mail me at jking@felonresources.com if you have any further questions.

• Like
    • Report

12 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by gritty bricks on October 31st, 2008

gritty bricks

what we need to do is stop supporting businesses and corporations that won't hire convicted felons. some places are going as far as not hiring if you have a misdemeanor. we need to show that if we stand together and start protesting these companies, our government, our cities, and make them realize the cost of imprisonment per year per inmate can become a salary so we can pay taxes instead of taxpayers paying out of they're pocket to keep us in there the economy would improve off of that alone. we are now considered bottom of the barrel citizens, the last of the last to be picked if all else fails. we,re complaining but not trying to improve our situation. if we put the heat on these politicians and make ourselves noticed we can try to get real programs for felons that will allow them to make money while training for jobs so they can be able to provide for their families and stay out of jail. otherwise we all should just become career criminals and give up. i'm currently working on a way to start a movement that will grab national attention to this problem if anyone is interested in becoming part of the solution instead of looking at this as a problem email me at (gg6kids@yahoo.com) i look forward to hearing from you soon.

• Like
    • Report

5 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by ravven on November 18th, 2009

ravven

If you are in Florida good luck. I have been fighting a record for 15 years. As for clemency, get a team of lawyers and pray. Most offenses are blacklisted from clemency. Clemency does not make your record go away, that is expungement. This country always cries about fairness and peoples rights, what about the rights of those who made a mistake and now must pay for it years after they were set "free". Does anyone know if you can file a lawsuit against the government for cruel and unusual punishment? Because that is what this is.

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by evelin on July 16th, 2008

evelin

I had no idea that my life would be changed forever when I so illresponsibablly got caught purchasing drugs. I was sentenced to 6 months in the state jail for possession of less than a gram. That happen in 2001 and that was the first and last time I committed a crime. I continue to pay for this mistake. How are we able to rebuild our lifes if we can't find a job. We have to take care of ourselves and our families just like non-offenders do. I live in Houston and I can't believe how limited the resources are for ex-offenders. I am seriously thinking about starting a program to assist offenders who are trying to rebuild their lives. Society needs to understand that everyone deserve a second chance. There are no perfect people in the world, its time for society to show alittle compassion for those of us who has made a mistake. If anyone know of a organization that help ex-felons find employment PLEASE let me know.

• Like
    • Report

6 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Anonymous on October 30th, 2009

Anonymous

Not a felon, have never done anything really, never into drugs etc, but I can tell you, as a Recruiter for the past 30+ years, there are sooooo few jobs out there right now that if your backgroun even hints at a troubled past, you have a very huge challenge ahead of you. Where I live in CA, there are NO jobs, people in their 40's and 50's have taken the typically teen and young adult jobs, because they have families to feed. It's brutal out there, but don't forget to look into the shelters, and government run programs for available jobs. You've got to do alot, and I mean ALOT of digging.

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Route 66Truckerman on September 3rd, 2008

Route 66Truckerman

Congress!!!

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by EsotericalEricka on December 4th, 2006

EsotericalEricka

You could try going to your local DOC office and inquiring, or also you could try the unemployment office. I would suggest trying the DOC office first as they might have lists of jobs available for convicted felons. If not, they would probably be able to give you the information you need.

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by My Favourite Life on April 23rd, 2008

My Favourite Life

The US military is hiring

• Like
    • Report

4 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by JennyCO on March 23rd, 2010

JennyCO

Here is a serious idea..... we all work together to make a movement!!!! Seriously, we all sit here and complain about these problems in the judicial system and the inequalities there in. 100% for real. I have 3 brothers all in trouble for the same thing.... driving offenses! A man must work to support his family. He must drive to his place of employment to do so. It is a repeat system. I believe if enough people got together and really worked at it; a real change could be made. Imagine being able to live a better life for yourself or family???? Please email me at Jenniferbaker97531@gmail.com with any ideas or interest in helping getting some one you know or yourself into a better future.

• Like
    • Report

3 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Anonymous on November 26th, 2008

Anonymous

iamleelee
    Look in the mirror. No, I am serious. Take another look at your talents, your passions, and figure out what you can design, create, make, put together, or a service you know how to do better than anyone you already know. Think of things you have done that people told you "you really are good at that", whatever it is and start promoting your talent.

Promoting your talent is making samples of your work and placing them in a display box, on a board for display and ask people if they would like one for themselves. Start at a price you know is well worth the product, and then let the customers determine if they are willing to pay that amount easily. If they do, then raise the price for the next customer until most people start saying, no thanks. Then lower it to the price where people say, cool, I buy one or two.

If you have a service, do a good job and ask for the customer to write a letter about your good work. You can have a standard letter written the way you want it, and then ask your customer to sign it along with their name and phone number.

As you have more customers, some customer will recommend you. Soon you will be making money, and need to file for a fictitious business name, and get a license to do business in your city and start paying income taxes. Maybe, you will go "public" as an IPO like IBM or SEARS. It won't be the first time a felon started a business and got rich the old fashion way.

Sometimes, you are looking for people to hire you, and you could be hiring others, once you figure out what YOU can do for YOURSELF. You are somebody. You have talents and gifts to do something others cannot do even if they put their mind to it, they still can't do what you do as well and as quickly as you can do your gift.

God made us each with a talent to earn money, to pay 10% tithes to church, and God makes sure you receive your reward that is 10 to 100 times more than your tithes. Just as sure as you jump up, you are coming down hard--that's the law of gravity. When you place your faith in tithes, that's the "jumping up part". When God rewards you with 10 to 100 times the amount you gave using your faith to pay tithes, that's the "coming down part". God has laws of faith, when you give tithes, expect it to multiply, and it will, because He said so. God cannot lie, therefore the law is true.

If you think I am kidding, ask a Preacher with a large congregation, where the members are wealthy, too. Stop looking to other men and women to take care of you. God takes care of each of His children. When you become God's child, accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, other people will need YOU. Then tell your story to as many people as you meet. Your story will help them to find Jesus Christ and find ways to enrich their own lives and those they touch. Repent to Lord God of all your sins in Jesus Christ name, and don't do those things again. God will forgive you, and you must accept his forgiveness in your heart. Once done, I'll see you in Heaven after a lovely life.

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by stephanie on September 12th, 2008

stephanie

I read alot of frustration in all of these comments, they sound very familar. I was convicted of a felon in the state of georgia in 1997 served three years, still have alot of unsupervised probation left, however the world, our society is still the only thing holding me back. Honestly it's really more the State, the Govt, that holds felons down, the very ones that call our time served "rehabilitation" are the ones with their foot on our neck, guess i sound very frustrated still, 11 years ago is along while back, but today 2008 i'm am still being punished for young stupid decisions....advise...use your testimony..help others...keep a VERY close relationship with God....Vent if need be, but always be glad your not where you used to be, and you can still get where you want, IF you don't give up or in....

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Anonymous on September 8th, 2008

Anonymous

I have a job as a medical assistant. They don't usually do back ground checks, but I wanted to be a nurse, but Granholm's B...h a.s change the law where convicted felons can't get license in the state of Michigan. Next year would have be ten years I caught my case for carrying a concealed weapon, because I was being stalked and the police found a gun in my glove compartment. The judge said it was a caught 22. It was ten years, but she changed it to fifteen years, before you can get a license in the medical field. I guess after I've had it for fifteen years the laws will change to twenty. My only suggestion is if your case is not that bad. Leave the state and go to school.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by G_tech on April 23rd, 2008

G_tech

many county and city jobs are open to you, where My hubby works we hired a man over 11yrs ago fully knowing his past, and we told our Board also his past but also told them hes the best man for the Job who applied and we hired him. Its a cemetery which is county, so pays no bad and good benefits, I also know that our city has hired a couple people with not so clean past, they don't care.
    Truck driving is another option for you, I fully believe once a man/woman has done their time so be it, put it in the past and let them get on with their lives, as there are those who wish to move forward and be productive folks again. granted there are the bad apples and thats what has made it hard for others.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Kevisaurus is a Carnotaurus today on April 21st, 2008

Kevisaurus is a Carnotaurus today

Day Labor
    Work today / Pay today

http://www.daylaborers.org/

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Anonymous on August 1st, 2007

Anonymous

Its not going to be easy. some cross country movers hire convicted felons.

Convicted felons pose a liability threat to employers. i understand you did you your time and should be able to carry on with your life. i wish this were true, but in todays society and the accessibility of the computer, employers are leery of hiring convicted felons.

This is why many convicted felons turn to being homeless people.

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by singwell-is off researching a lot on July 15th, 2007

singwell-is off researching a lot

He/she would need to work with their parole officer on this, and liaise with welfare. What the person had done might rule out some careers, but I am sure that there are many jobs still available to people with records, providing that their parole officer agrees that they can do the particular job (ie it is not breaking their parole conditions etc)

All the best for the person seeking work. I hope they find it. Sometimes, it is good to try to work with some volunteer organisations to prove that you can be responsible, but talk it over with your parole officer.

• Like
    • Report

3 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Harleygirl40 on December 16th, 2006

Harleygirl40

You can talk to your probation officer or try and go to your local unemployment office.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by JgrumpyC on November 27th, 2008

JgrumpyC

The Waffle House
    Telemarketing
    Moving Companies
    NFL

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by kobeasley7 on February 27th, 2009

kobeasley7

Who is enoch

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Anonymous on November 28th, 2008

Anonymous

The convicted felon has a job, and thanks for all your help. I wish I could make 20 something an hour. I'm currently at 14. I guess I shouldn't complain. For those out there whose making that kind of money with a felony. Congradulations! Maybe it's the color of your skin. Hate to sound like that, but I didn't mean I couldn't find a job. I just want to better myself in a career where I can make some real money. I appreciate all your help. A grateful employed, felon.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by Carbonproduct on November 27th, 2008

Carbonproduct

That's what I'd like to know. If you find out first, let me know pweeze.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by SportyGal883C on October 3rd, 2008

SportyGal883C

I too have a felony now. Mine isn't violent. I got a DWI back in 2003 which I admit was my fault and stupid of me to get behind the wheel. I got convicted of my second DWI January this year. I am currantly on probation for it. Thing is, we went out around 7 PM. Had only two drinks. All of a sudden, around 11 PM, I just flipped out, took off out of the bar. Anyway, turns out we found out about 2 weeks later that my drink was spiked with ecstasy(if I spelled it right). We also found out who it was that did it. That this person also did it to a biker club member recently and is currantly on the run as she was arrested for drugs and jumped bail. As for the breathilizer with me, that was thrown out of court. Here you have to go to one court for the breathilizer and a seperate court for the DWI. I wound up in court for the DWI first. Then when I went to court for the breathilzer they threw it out of court. Needless to say, I am a convicted felon now because 2 DWI's within 5 year are a felony. I called the police department to ask where such a felony would fall. They said it's not a violent felony, infact it falls under traffic. They said it's a felony but yet it's not a felony. So then why is it I'm still considered a convicted felon? I can't get a job no where. Not even with K-Mart. And K-Mart told me to my face that they won't hire me because I am a felon. I said what I am convicted of has nothing to do with running a register or hanging clothes on racks. They still wouldn't hire me. Now for the kicker. I found out that I can do bounty hunting work. Yes, I can get a license to bounty hunt. Only license I can't get is a permit to carry a gun. That's fine with me 'cause I really don't like guns anyway. So, now I've been searching on how to get a government grant to open my own bounty hunting business. I wrote the governer of New York. I got a reply within two days. Gave me all the info I need on goverment grants, who to contact and how to get what I want. They also told me about training, where to go, who to contact. They congratulated me on getting my life back in order and wished me the best of luck. But how's that for a kicker?

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by Shreveport on September 16th, 2008

Shreveport

I having been fighting everyday to find work, I made the same mistake twice, sometimes we do stupid things and I have done a lot of stupid things. Not just getting in trouble with the law. The thing is I have dreams and goals and in all that I have been through with domestic abuse in my family and in my own life, I am still fighting. I have had many doors closed in my face, but for some reason God just keep on holding on to me. The things that I have done in my past souldn't hinder me in my future, but they have. Hinder us all.My answer is to keep holding on to GOD's hand cause HE has all POWER.....

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by sied01 on September 8th, 2008

sied01

hey hang in there sometimes all we want to do is give up, but dont .you have the best thing family. i know what you are going throw, i have a long crimnal history, i started comitting crimes in 1986 and they lasted untill 1999, and beleive me this has haunted me so bad, you would not beleive just keep the faith in you're higer power mine is god and ask him everday to help you stay strong. when less excpect it, someone will give you the chance, dont lie when you go to a interview, be straight foward with them and explain what you did and ask them to please give you the chance to prove you're self, it will be hard but someone will give you the chance, i was given the chance for being honest and became the manager of a clothing store making alot of money , was able to buy a car a year1/2 after that and 2 years after that i can happly say i own my 1 family home ive come a long way, i just got lay off bummer and iam going throw this all over again, no one wants to give me the chance, but i beleive god will not let me down remember the best thing is we are claen not doing all the bad stuff we use to do. and we are not in jail , please keep the faith it will be allright, try going to church sometimes the people in church can help you . just one thing dont go back to you're old ways .

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by LuckyLefty on September 3rd, 2008

LuckyLefty

Australia LOL

JK!

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by BigDaddyBS on April 21st, 2008

BigDaddyBS

In this day and age? The Army. See http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/21/military.waivers/

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by Daddysgirl on April 21st, 2008

Daddysgirl

I don't know where you live, but here, the Washington DC metropolitan area's transit system (METRO) hires convicted felons. I don't know what your transit system requires, but I know they pay well here.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by MG1942 Has a Life Penguin on April 21st, 2008

MG1942 Has a Life Penguin

Anywhere normal people can. I have a few F's, and they have been no hinderance to my professional life. Be open and honest, and make sure that you are really ready to be on the up-and-up. Restaurants and hotels are a good place to start. Service industries.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by Bronson718 on March 10th, 2008

Bronson718

Ther are agencies specially designed for us homie. I'm working now through a program called CEO and i just got a good full time job through them.. there is a way if you look for it.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by rigby on November 8th, 2007

rigby

customer tele service jobs where people dont come in direct contact with people usually hire

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by akatitoe on November 8th, 2007

akatitoe

I have a felony charge in my record but the charges are beeing droped after my provation period which ends in the middle of March 2008, I dont have a provation officer but I have submitted about 50 employment applications and I have not received an answer.

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by anonymous on July 31st, 2007

anonymous

McDonalds or Burgerking....;)

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by Bobbbb on December 16th, 2006

Bobbbb

anywhere. lie on your application, 8 of 10 times they wont even bother

• Like
    • Report

7 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by mel2187 on October 21st, 2008

mel2187

I am a 21-year-old female who took the wrap for an ex boyfriend who later left me in jail when i was serving time for HIS crimes. I was barely 18 when i got my 2 felonies. Ever since i have been free i have been going to school, i earned my Associates Degree and i am working on my Bachelors, the only problem is that no one will take a chance on me. I am so talented and organized and I am scared that because I was young and dumb i will never be able to fully support myself. The whole system is a catch 22. They want you to gain employment but yet no employer wants a felon. Any ideas?!?!?! I don't know what else to do?

• by cristin on September 2nd, 2008

cristin

I think everyones only hope is to wait 5 years from the time you commited your felony, 3 years for misdemenors. Then apply for an expungement, if they dont grant the expungement you will at least get a ' work pardon'. A work pardon is if a company searches your background nothing will come up, but the cops will still see your record. Also you cant be on probation at all to apply for it. If your not on probation and it has not be the 5 or 3 years yet you can still apply for the 'work pardon'. I know this stuff cuz Im a felon too with an Assalt 1 and 2 charge. And Im finally getting my record expunged after 6 years of waiting and working dead end jobs finally I will be able to work as a Medical Assistant like I went to school for. For everyone else who is waiting out their probation time, the best I can say is keep looking. Try any kind of job. Labor, Waiting tables Ect.. Any job is better than no job. And remember it could be worse and its not forever and I agree it is unfair. Good luck to all.

• by norcalr8r on April 21st, 2008

norcalr8r

In the labor construction field. I am a felon, I used my street smarts on the construction field and believe me, there is no better place id rather be than jack hammering,drilling,notching and constructing and sit back at the end of the day and know that I EARNED my dollar!

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Nada Normal on April 23rd, 2008

Nada Normal

heck of a challange, your p/o's office may have advice & check local employment offices

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by juggysgirl34 on April 23rd, 2008

juggysgirl34

I would like to know the same thing, felons need to get back into the groove of earning their way but our system makes it very hard for them to find decent work.

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by JennMayka on April 21st, 2008

JennMayka

I hate to say it but it is very hard for a convicted felon to find a job. Even McDonalds isnt willing to hire you. I have a felony and have worked for Long John Silver, numerous telemarketing companies and their are a lot of small chain restaraunts that will hire you. If you need more money than that you usually can find work in construction. I currently work installing insulation and bring home about 500 a week. A lot of people here have felonies.

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by lauren on November 17th, 2008

lauren

Go to Hard2Hire.com and sign up! it's fast and easy

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by anonymouspersona on April 23rd, 2008

anonymouspersona

UPS, Fedex, etc.
    I mean, if you are upfront with them and show personality and dedication, you will be fine.

• by We miss our girl! on April 23rd, 2008

We miss our girl!

Places who hire someone who had been convicted of a felony get a tax break. Walmart and Home Depot and Kmart are among those where jobs are available. Or try small business...private owned stores and restaurants often have the basic application that doesn't ask if you've been convicted, and they generally just check your references and not a background check. Can also try state agencies (in Michigan we have Michigan Works that has job assistance and also helps with training). Even a social services office might be able to help.

• by dame on July 16th, 2008

dame

hard to beleive it but you are better off being disabled or an illegal alien

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Mandis on May 27th, 2008

Mandis

Im haveing the same problem Im a convicted felon. I have maxed on my parole but Im still haveing a problem finding a decent job that will give me a chance I live in Missouri.

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Evette on May 13th, 2008

Evette

Hi, i'm 21 years of age and when I was 18 I made a huge mistake and used someone credit card who was given to me. I receive Deferred Ajudication for two years, it was classified as a felony and now I'm starting to pay for it. Luckily I was already in college, but now I can't find a job making above $9.00 an hour. I'm blessed to have found this job but lets be realistic what am I going to do in 4 or 5 years. They said when I completed my probation my record was suppose to be clear but now they say you have to wait 5 years from the time you were released off probabtion for it to come off. I can't get into any apartment, I'm having a hard time trying to get into clinicals which is my second part of nursing school. I just pray soon there will be something done to help those who are trying to help themselves, especially for nonviolent cases. So if anyone is from the Houston area and have any advise for me please feel free to share!!!!!!

• by Anonymous on July 17th, 2008

Anonymous

i too am a felon my job just laid me off and my biggest fear is this pool of unfamiliar people who are bias to felons. before i got this job i bartended it was okay i was new in a bar the knew the old bartendars so no one really tipped me. i have been at my old job 3 years in that time had a kid, got a little comfortable and now look. a lot of places take felons not on probation. my restitution is 15,000.if i could pay that i'd be on my way in a hospital. if i get my foot in i'll work my way up, with my kid, now i gotta move back with my parents. i'm thru hustling but if i could get the money. what to do? help!!!!!!!1

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Adogzheart on July 5th, 2009

Adogzheart

Here is a video with a big list of companies that hire ex-offenders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05fRZLVia_w

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by chad1 on October 17th, 2009

chad1

I have a felony drug conviction from 2004. I live in pa and since released from prison i went to college and now have a bachelors degree in psychology thinking it would help me find a good job. I have done nothing but try and better myself since my arrest but have had little luck finding work. I have interviewed at hospitals for mental health work, counseling position. I cant work in a hospital, school, prison, and every other job that i am qualified for with my psych degree has state regulations that do not allow them to hire felons. Basically my college degree is worthless and was a waste of time and money. I dont like having that attitude but i have tried so hard and done everything in my power to find a good job. I am very frustrated and i think that some of these rules and regulations need to be lightened to some extent for felons who have changed and are now law abiding citizens. The only work i can find are labor jobs that i dont even need a high school diploma to get. I would never resort to selling drugs again but i can definitely see why some felons do go back to their old ways. I have no idea which direction to turn to start a decent career.

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by waldo26 on October 11th, 2009

waldo26

im a convicted felon i have been out for two years i messed up 5 years ago and im still payin for it i have some skill if any one knows any way to help my email is anthony8357@mocospace.com i have a wife and three kids. thanks

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Greggo on October 7th, 2009

Greggo

A lot of companies don't ask for a criminal check, I would just stay away from those places. I own a business and I ask for a criminal check but that's because my business deals with water safety programs for schools and we also go to homes. just because you have a record, doesn't mean they won't hire you..it just depends what they are! I believe everyone gets a second chance and I don't judge you on your past, I'll just judge you on how well of a worker you are.

Want to attach an image to your answer? Click here.

Did this answer your question? If not, then ask a new question or create a poll.

More Questions. Additional questions in this category.