• One thing I've always said is, "the reason education is such a valuable thing is because so few people have one". The written word is an important part of effective communication - it's important to express oneself clearly. Correcting one's grammar is not "bullying". If people are offended by it, they should consider better educating themselves. Most browsers have built-in spell check extensions, so there's no reason to make such mistakes other than pure laziness.
      I've said that same thing about common sense. Maybe not everyone can afford to 'better educate themselves', and maybe some weren't born with the intellectual ability to grasp these things. And a spell checker is not a grammar checker and even a spell checker misses the error when the word you used is in the word list. Perhaps if the grammar nazis are offended by bad grammar they should consider the fact that people are not submitting a paper for grading when they post online. And they very seldom ask for you to correct them. And I still think this is more often a controlling behavior than an attempt to inform and educate. But maybe that's just my perception.
    • 1465
      You raise a few good points and I commend you. But bear in mind that for such people who are meticulous about their grammar, correcting people is a reaction similar to OCD. Accusations of "judging people" don't take into account today's education system that supports "no child left behind" and Bill Gates' "new math" that was designed to stupidify people. As far back as a decade, you had university students who could barely spell their own names. Yes, there are those with learning disabilities and this seems to be a growing trend - how is that even possible? How can people become progressively less-educated unless that's the direction they're being led? [] and BTW, there are grammar checkers out there. I use Grammarly for everything I text. And, the term "grammar Nazi" is just as derogatory as what the rest of the world sees as "bullying" people who can't spell. Like the $15/hr minimum wage issue, if people find themselves at a disadvantage, they should try and do something to improve themselves.
    • Chicagoan
      All fine & good, Linda, but I've already read a couple posts from you where you grammar-nazi'ed someone. And I haven't been on this site for very long. So, don't hold your breath.
  • They are an annoying lot aren't they. I think they feel a moment of superiority if they catch a misspelling, or a punctuation error, or some other typo that annoys them. Reminds me of grammar school English teachers.
      I don't mind them much myself. I feel badly for those they call out like that though. And I think some do feel superior to those they call out. But I also used to teach in the loose sense of the word and used to feel a bit obligated to correct such things. Now I don't usually say anything unless its so bad I can't understand what they are saying.
    • dalcocono
      YUp, there was a user called alberto on YA who was constantly ranting about 9/11 Bush, Iraq, Syria etc. His English was so bad that it was barely coherent. He was constantly called out over that, and it was easy to see why. However, some of the grammar nazis remind me of English teachers who went over a paper with a red pen or pencil putting in punctuation or misspelling with a lower grade for misuse of comma, period or apostrophe. When I see some of the text language and spellings in use today I just laugh because I know some of those old teachers are turning over in their graves!
      So, just between you and me (wink wink) have you ever used bad grammar intentionally just to make the grammar nazis loose the cheese off their cracker? lol But when it comes to ELL/ESL I admire anyone who can speak a second language. I wouldn't be able to communicate much at all if I had to use another language! I did learn how to say "Do you want a meal or just chicken and bread/biscuit?"
    • dalcocono
      Usually not. That would feel like trolling them. Sort of gross. Usually it's typos that set them off on me I will often use the words "there, their and they're in a sentence to show how it should be used when they use the wrong form though.. Same with "were. we're and where". I can't believe those get mixed up so much. I never did figure out what alberto's first language is.
  • They believe that they are educating others. I sometimes welcome such online correction because English is my second language.