• , now a private home First settled as early as 1623, the southern part of Kittery was once called Champernowne's after Sir Francis Champernowne, a prominent pioneer and landowner. Nicholas Shapleigh built the first house in the area, and Edward Godfrey established a trading post in 1632. Early professions included fishingfishermen, huntinghunters and Trapping (Animal)trappers. Others harvested the region's abundant timber, which was shipped to England or the West Indies. Kittery was incorporated in 1652 when Maine became part of Massachusetts. The Pepperrells were a distinguished Kittery Point family, its most famous member Sir William Pepperrell. He became the first baronet in New England for commanding a militia which defeated the FranceFrench in 1745 at the Battle of Louisburg. His gambrel mansion of 1733 remains a landmark at Pepperrell Cove on the Piscataqua River. After his death, his widow in 1760 built another landmark dwelling, The Lady Pepperell House, considered an outstanding local example of Georgian architecture. On land once owned by Sir William Pepperrell is a coastal defense called Fort McClary. Located at what is today Fort McClary State Historic Site, it features a blockhouse dating from 1844. In 1969, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Fort Foster, a later coastal defense, was built by the Federal government on 92 acres at Gerrish Island. Now owned by the town of Kittery, Fort Foster Park provides superb views of Portsmouth Harbor, Whaleback Lighthouse, and the Isles of Shoals. 'Historic Sites & Museums:' * Source:

Copyright 2020, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy