by Slothy on July 22nd, 2008

Slothy

Question

Help answer this question below.

What are your thoughts on homemade/handmade clothing? Have you ever tried making anything? Thanks!

• Like
  • Report

Answers

Answers. 15 helpful answers below.

• I certainly like the idea more than buying mass-produced t-shirts at WalMart... I've made a Sex Pistols shirt and a velvet dress, and have taken in some shirts to be waisted, but as I have to sew by hand and am lazy, I don't finish many things.

The dress in a slightly crappy picture (it was before I fixed the hem):

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Peaches on July 23rd, 2008

Peaches

I've been making clothing for myself and my family for nearly 50 years!! I get quite a lot of compliments but almost nobody knows that I've made it myself.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by sleepless on July 22nd, 2008

sleepless

It depends upon your attention to detail. Just like mass produced clothing,if the quality is there then it will look good. Children's handmade clothing is very popular, especially in cute prints or with cute characters on them. Some people who are hard to fit might also like handmade clothing.

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Elaine on September 27th, 2008

Elaine

I don't sew as much as I used to, since my vision is not what is used to be. But, I made barbie clothes when I was around 8, then tops and pants in my teens. Made some nightgowns a few years back.

Make sure your pattern fits you right, tho. Sometimes you have to add or take away from it, since no one is that perfect size.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by bunbun on September 20th, 2008

bunbun

I love homemade/handmade clothing. I have been sewing since I was 12 years old. (Now 53) It almost seems like a thing of the past for women to sew items at home. Almost all of the fabric stores have closed down in our area of Texas. There is nothing I like better than to see a young person be interested in learning to sew or be creative! I surely wish I could talk my daughter or daughter-in-law into being more interested in home sewing or creating new things, such as taking an old pair of jeans and blinging them up. Maybe one day I can get one of them fired up about it! Cheers to all young ladies who want to sew!!!!!!

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by bagicide stayed 10 months too long on July 29th, 2008

bagicide stayed 10 months too long

I flunked out of sewing in Junior High and thought I couldn't do it. Then I saw the news story where a Nike subcontractor was using child slaves as young as six to sew clothes and shoes. I thought, first of all, no one is going to enslave kids to sew my clothes. And secondly, if a six year old can sew clothes and shoes well enough for Nike, why can't I. Three years ago, I bought a cheap machine at Walmart. I started out sewing doll clothes for my daughter for practice. Then I started making her pajamas. I am now sewing all her clothes except Jersey knit, which my machine tends to stuff down the bobbin case. I am sewing all my clothes except Jersey knit and bras. Basically that means I'm buying t-shirts and underpants for both of us. I just bought a mens shirt pattern and some gorgeous flannel and I'm getting ready to start making my husband's clothes. The only clothing I have gotten compliments on in years are the things I've made. Since I make them myself, I can make them to fit. And no clothing looks as good as that which fits properly.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Yarnlady is happy every day on July 24th, 2008

Yarnlady is happy every day

I used to design and make all my own clothes.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by bill on September 27th, 2008

bill

I have not however my wife and daughters are very good at it, my oldest daughter made her own prom dress. My other daughter has made tops and things like that. They also have made several quillos, which is a pillow with a quilt inside that folds up to create a pillow when not in use.

• by Jewel on July 29th, 2008

Jewel

I used to make everything for myself and my family. Western wear for my husband, jeans and everything else for me and my kids. Quilts, recovered furniture, toys,...
    When I became a single parent, working full time, I had to let it go. I miss it.

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by bagicide stayed 10 months too long on January 23rd, 2010

bagicide stayed 10 months too long

I'm wearing pants and a sweater I made right now. It actually fits me, whereas store bought clothing doesn't. It is more functional, more comfortable and more accurately reflect my personality and character. Its cheaper too. I can go to the fabric store, buy a $12 piece of fleece and make pants for me, socks for my husband, hats for all of us and baby pants for the clothing bank. Then I sew the small pieces back together to make quilt blocks which I sew into blankets for the family. The little tiny pieces I use to make dog beds. And all that from a $12 piece of fleece.

That said, I'm highly concerned right now. I knew that every bolt of fabric I looked at at the fabric store was made in either China, Pakistan or India. I'm getting really disgusted with the quality of the dyes in these fabrics, as the color washes out really quickly. I'm also disgusted with the quality of the cotton, as it is frequently short staple and pills very quickly. But over Christmas, I discovered that we have only two working woolen mills left in the entire United States, and that scares me. That means that as a nation, we are in much the same state that the Confederacy was in at the beginning of the Civil War. We can't produce our own fabric to clothe ourselves. We have no manufacturing left, and I don't know about you all, but many of the factories around here have been abandoned long enough that the roof is going. We couldn't just open them back up again. If we don't do something to encourage domestic consumption and domestic production again, we could be in real trouble.

• by SweetpeaNShadows on August 2nd, 2008

SweetpeaNShadows

There is nothing like the satisfaction of making it yourself. I love to sew and have made many items for all of my family. Once you get going it is hard to stop. Most of the time they look better than something you would buy and they cost a whole lot less. I have been know to start a project on Saturday morning and not stop till it was done sometime on Sunday. Then I have to rest to go to work so I can get more fabric and start again the next weekend!

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Mephistopheles on September 27th, 2008

Mephistopheles

In my experience, it's not worth the time and effort. If you try to do it for a living, it doesn't pay & customers always try to short change you as they feel your time, effort & expertise are always too much or never worth what you're asking. If you make quantities, you may have an issue finding an outlet for your creations. The only way it pays is if you do it for yourself, children and those around you that appreciate it. Personally, I was always looked down on and snubbed by those around me for doing it and certain people even got offended because I gave them hand made items

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Galeanda on September 27th, 2008

Galeanda

I have sewn for decades, even sewing for other people for about 20 years or more. Sometimes it's economical, sometimes it's for better fit, sometimes it's because I can't find what I'm looking for and I have a terrific design idea, and sometimes it's just because it's fun!

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by LittleMissAnonymous on September 27th, 2008

LittleMissAnonymous

I made my own prom dress and other clothes people compliment me often...and i just say its designer...It's cool!

Sometimes you can pay more making it yourself then buying it so just keep an eye out and have fun...

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by electricgypsy on January 23rd, 2010

electricgypsy

I have my own label of handmade clothing that is starting to be quite successfull. Mostly vintage inspired items using vintage and new retro/kitsch fabrics, i have had a really positive response. I aim at the younger alternative market, and i think there is a real trend for individualism, quirkiness and anti high street nowadays. I do it because i love sewing, colour, texture and vintage fabrics, and to make a living from it? - well, even better!
    You can view my items at www.theelectricgypsy.com

No comments. Post one | Permalink

Want to attach an image to your answer? Click here.

Did this answer your question? If not, then ask a new question or create a poll.

More Questions. Additional questions in this category.