• ''I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. I am lost... I am helpless. It isn't my fault. It takes forever to find a way out. ......................... I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in again. I can't believe I am in the same place. But, it isn't my fault. It still takes me a long time to get out............................ I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it is there. I still fall in. It's a habit. My eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately. ........................... I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it. .........................I walk down another street.''
  • short answer: conditioning. (and the tale above is from the wonderful world of 'recovery', where people meet to discuss doing the same destructive thing again and again and again, no matter how much they know it;'s bad and want to stop doing it. ....CONDITIONING can be very powerful, a nemesis among foes.
      yeah I can see how that would be a part of it.
  • No I don't wonder as it's a self destructive behaviour. One responsible for many a detention and bad exam mark, as kids the world over look out their window in wonder instead of paying attention. Thus "wonder" by your logic is "harming" humanity.
      Nice interpretation of the word. I could agree with that answer if you substitute inattention for Wonder. But I think wonder is a good thing. That's how you think of things that haven't yet been invented, or figure out things you don't yet know the answer to. Should I have said Ponder? No I don't think that quite fits.
  • One reason might be this at 1 John 5:19: "We know that we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." Satan has power over the world, and he influences humans to be as selfish, greedy, and shortsighted as he is. Another reason, sin and imperfection.