by maxine simmons on July 15th, 2010

maxine simmons

Question

Help answer this question below.

Why do people hate the police when all they do is try and help?

• Like
  • Report

Answers

Answers. 346 helpful answers below.

• by Eileen on September 27th, 2009

Eileen

Asker's Pick

Selected by the asker, maxine simmons. (What's this?)

Up until Monday 9/21/2009 I was a cop. As with all walks of life, as with all types of people, you will find the good, the bad, and the indifferent. The men and woman who wear that uniform as I did for 15+ years, the majority of us wore it and wear it with honor, pride, and loyalty to those we serve(d)and those we serve(d) which by the would be all of you on AB and throughout the rest of the USA. What we face each day is that 3 y/o who was shot from a drive by shooting while playing in his front yard; that gang that just made a mom and dad childless because the kid, he/she had the wrong color jacket indicating they were a gang member when they were not; that female that was found in an park that was stabbed and raped repeatedly until her body was beyond recognition; that store owner on the corner that invited us to a bottle of soda or cup of coffee becasue we stopped by to make sure his livelihood was well protected; we do it for all the law abiding people because a police officer in their heart only sees situtations as right and wrong, no gray color just the law of right and wrong.
    .
    I loved serving the people and the responses here for the most part make me proud to say I was not only a police officer but a "peace officer" as well. So hate us if you want to, its cool we still love doing what we do.

• Like
    • Report

22 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by j ninja... on September 26th, 2009

j ninja...

Asker's Pick

Who ya gonna call when you need help?

• Like
    • Report

13 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Sherri on October 23rd, 2009

Sherri

Asker's Pick

Absolutely NOT! My son is one and I couldn't be prouder!

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Fruitpunchsamurai on July 15th, 2010

Fruitpunchsamurai

Asker's Pick

I can't speak for others, but I will say it REALLY depends what country you are in. In some countries the police are your friends, they're helpful and wish to keep the population safe. This is not the same in all countries sometimes the police are no better than thugs with government issue guns.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by Bez on September 20th, 2012

Bez

Asker's Pick

Because they don't always try to help. Some of them are so obsessed with arresting people just for self-glorification that they make false arrests. If there is one thing in this world that makes me absolutely f***ing sick, it's false accusation.

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Seves1989 on December 22nd, 2012

Seves1989

Asker's Pick

Because sometimes they just do not help but attack with no reason

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by ChristopherMarry on November 20th, 2011

ChristopherMarry

Asker's Pick

I hate them...:@

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by iwnit on July 16th, 2010

iwnit

One reason of this could be the prevalence of police misconduct.

"Police misconduct refers to inappropriate actions taken by police officers in connection with their official duties. Police misconduct can lead to a miscarriage of justice and sometimes involves discrimination. In an effort to control police misconduct, there is an accelerating trend for civilian agencies to go beyond review to engage directly in investigations and to have much greater input into disciplinary decisions."

"- Types of misconduct:
    False confession
    False arrest
    Falsified evidence
    False imprisonment
    Intimidation
    Police brutality
    Police corruption
    Political repression
    Racial profiling
    Sexual abuse
    Surveillance abuse"
    Source and further information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_misconduct

Further information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_brutality

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Redhawk on October 5th, 2009

Redhawk

As a body...no...I've known some cops who cared deeply about people and wanted to do the right thing always to protect and serve...

As individual people...sure, there are some who disgrace the job and who I wouldn't trust to protect a turd.

The Police ARE YOU and ME...with a badge and power. You've got HUMAN BEINGS... and... ASSHOLES! Just like the general population.

• Like
    • Report

3 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Mushen on September 26th, 2009

Mushen

No, without the Police there would be anarchy. They are essential.

• Like
    • Report

11 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Talimze on September 26th, 2009

Talimze

I don't really like the police. I don't think highly of them, that is. And I certainly don't masturbate to them like some people.

• Like
    • Report

7 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by raylrodr on September 26th, 2009

raylrodr

Why would anyone hate the police? What a juvenile question.

• Like
    • Report

13 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Phillis - Zacks little sister on October 5th, 2009

Phillis - Zacks little sister

No! In fact, I am cognizant of the fact that they are the ones who stand between us and total civil breakdown. If it weren't for them, abusers would be flat-out killing, store owners would be looted continually and be forced out of business, murders would go unsolved, hate crimes would go through the roof, and our personal property would lie in utter ruin.

They see people at their WORST, every day. A simple traffic stop could mean their last day on earth. They wouldn't even get the chance to say good bye or I love you to their loved ones. Frankly, I don't know how they get out of it without being more fcuked up than people in an insane asylum. The paperwork they are now forced to contend with damn near guaranteees they won't get home any time soon, after their shift has ended.

And yet, they are some of the most dedicated people you will ever meet. There are cocky ones, corrupt ones, and those affected by the job. Still, they are a better breed than many I have known. +5

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by RefreshPerspective on July 15th, 2010

RefreshPerspective

The thing is not all cops just trying to help. Some of them get off by using excessive force. Others are just bitter racists trying to beat down minorities. That being said I have great respect for good cops. They are the real heroes, not the dogs of the military who go out and kill foreigners they don't know.

• Like
    • Report

12 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by -O-uknow on October 23rd, 2009

-O-uknow

Too strong a word and they do serve a purpose although they have not always demonstrated a role as protector rather than aggressor.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by russell.snatchley on September 26th, 2009

russell.snatchley

I hate them, they impose on my liberty. They do not carry guns to "protect and serve" us, they carry guns to protect themselves while forcing citizens to follow laws they don't feel like following.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by BACzero on July 15th, 2010

BACzero

All they do is try and help? That's a pretty general (if not naive) statement. The police use to 'watch over' the people. Now the police 'watch' the people. Most cops hold the rest of us to a different standard than they hold themselves. I've known cops who smoked Cuban cigars and lit off illegal fireworks on the 4th of July, but these same cops wouldn't think twice about writing a civilian up for doing those same things. There are good cops out there. There are also crooked, power hungry, degenerate cops out there. The problem is there's no way to really know which ones are which, and since they're in a position of power, its simply safer to trust none of them. My personal opinion, of course.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Anonymous on September 27th, 2009

Anonymous

I don't hate the police. There are good police officers and bad ones. I just hate the fact that there aren't more stand-up people in the police force. I think most people that become police officers do it for the wrong reasons, and are threfore susceptible to corruption.

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by RubyReds on September 26th, 2009

RubyReds

Will never hate them cause I am a police officer. Though you do get 'baddies' there are more who "Protect and Serve". Though Im not operational (Im a software tester for systems we are using in our IT department), Ive done the training, wear the uniform and have the badge!

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by BrokeDog on September 26th, 2009

BrokeDog

Nope. I've seen the good AND the bad ... and the good FAR outweigh the bad ... in my experiences. There are "bad" cops, just like there are "bad" chefs, and "bad" dentists, and "bad" janitors, and "bad" congressmen, ... I think you understand my point. Not many people I know will come out in the middle of the night and walk your property because you saw someone break into your shed.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Gingerminx on July 15th, 2010

Gingerminx

I don't hate the police, but, having been on the end of some mighty police power trips I can see why people do. And no, I was not breaking the law or trying to get out of something, it was when I was reporting a burglary and several emergency calls when I actually had the police try to intimidate me because they didn't want to attend.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by gillaspy01 on July 15th, 2010

gillaspy01

I dont, but this stuff happens pretty much every day now and people are sick of it.

• Like
    • Report

11 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Tom on September 26th, 2009

Tom

No, but I hate some of the laws they are hired to enforce. It seems like our government keeps adding more and more laws just so they can make money from the fines the offenders have to pay. I am against the laws that tell me how I have to live. As long as I am not bothering anyone or causing any harm, I should have the right to live my life the way I want.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Youngmerc on July 15th, 2010

Youngmerc

Sometimes the power goes 2 there head and they think they can pick on civilian whos only crime was j walking when theres NOT even cars

• Like
    • Report

2 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by LarryH54 on October 23rd, 2009

LarryH54

They're only a tool. I hate the legislators who inserted unjust laws into the mix, which the police are obligated to uphold regardless of their justice.

• Like
    • Report

3 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Waqar Hussain Laghari on October 5th, 2009

Waqar Hussain Laghari

No, Love police. because it give me shalter, and help me when ever i need help. then how can i hate police?.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by dave1100 on September 27th, 2009

dave1100

no i quite like them but sting as a solo artist is rubish

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Mr. Black on September 27th, 2009

Mr. Black

No, but I don't like the way their direction is dictated by money.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by roiboysatx on September 27th, 2009

roiboysatx

there are good cops and bad cops just like everything else. cops have a very difficult job and overall they do a fantastic job. dangerous.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by delilahdugo on July 15th, 2010

delilahdugo

Police is a very broad term. It is about who is under that uniform. Not everyone who puts on the uniform leaves the problems they have at home. Not all police are correct in the actions they take. I have watched on TV about wife beaters, murders and child molestors and what job did they have.... police officer.I am not saying police are bad, yes they are our heros. I am thankful they are out there. We need more who care and want to do an exceptional job. Most people want to trust the police yet so many stories on the media tell us we can't trust the ones who are supposed to protect us. The ones who write tickets to satisfy a quota, the ones who are not there when our loved ones get shot. The ones who shoot a mentally disabled man. I believe they need better screening,training and then maybe people may change and say hey that's Officer Paul he is out saving the world, not just here to maintain a speed trap.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by PrivateGomerSpooner on July 15th, 2010

PrivateGomerSpooner

Unfortunately some of them are in the job for the wrong reasons. That can cover everything from the power trip they get when ordering members of the public to go in a certain direction away from them, to the Police being infiltrated by paramilitaries and Neo-Nazis. The Police force in my country was infiltrated by paramilitaries 20 years ago and they got information about the movements of a judge and his wife, both of them were blown up by a road side bomb.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by LePoupon is a proper gander. on July 15th, 2010

LePoupon is a proper gander.

Because they're on a major power trip and also are the footsoldiers for the corporate elite.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by X Anonymous Z.eDD on October 24th, 2009

X Anonymous Z.eDD

No, they're an alright band

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Payton on October 24th, 2009

Payton

I don't hate them, but I do view them as revenue generators now.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Willow on October 23rd, 2009

Willow

That's kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face. They are here to serve and protect too.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Goulash on September 27th, 2009

Goulash

Only the corrupt ones and the ones who are against ordinary civilians like us. My brother-in-law is a cop and he's an arrogant and cocky son of a bitch off duty. I don't know what he's like while at work. Makes me dislike the guy.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Mosexy on September 27th, 2009

Mosexy

I don't hate them. I'm fairly convinced that on the whole they bring more good into the world than bad.

But they sure seem to do a whole lot of ugly things. I also suspect there may be too many of them considering how badly they need to rape citizen's wallets with speed traps and outrageous parking fines. With the amount of time they can afford to spend busting people for such petty offensives, you'd think violent crime was no longer a problem.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by machinerat on September 27th, 2009

machinerat

No, I'm not a criminal or an immature person that thinks I should be abe to do ANYTHING I want without consequences.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by Normal guy on September 27th, 2009

Normal guy

No, they have a very important and dangerous job to do. I salute them.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by XT Chargers on September 27th, 2009

XT Chargers

No.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by Shemarq the Wamama on September 26th, 2009

Shemarq the Wamama

No.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Lawrence74 on September 26th, 2009

Lawrence74

I remember living in this apartment that had gangs fighting for territory. At one point the parking lot exploded into violence, people beaten down to the ground with bats, knifed, luckily no guns were fired. I say that because I lived there, and would wasn’t wild about bullets going through my walls. So when things like that happen, it’s really nice to be able to call someone who is willing to deal with it. I sure as heck didn’t want to deal with it. So I think I can say I like the police, they deal with things I really don’t want to deal with, so that I don’t have to.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by thatsJustme on September 26th, 2009

thatsJustme

absolutely not....i hate that there are some corrupt ones, but thats in all orgs. in society.....people who hate the police usually have something to hide ,or need someone to blame(other tha themselves) , or hate for 'self defense' :)

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Sid on September 26th, 2009

Sid

No, though I've hated individual policemen in the past. Most are just doing their job like anyone else, and are needed by the rest of us, but there is a minority who abuse their position.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Bob on September 26th, 2009

Bob

i like judges and prosecutors' minds a lot more than the typical police officer's mind - more intriguing and less concrete. the police officers i've known / worked with have been very professional and respectful and knowledgeable. that said, there's always a bad apple in every few bunches. i hate it when i hear of police abusive practices ...

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Tc on September 26th, 2009

Tc

If you are refering to the Law..then no..they are doing a job just like everyone else..I have a fe friends who are cops and they do a great job..in return they get lots of public abuse..
    If you mean the band..then no, I don't hate them either..

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Ocean Flower on September 26th, 2009

Ocean Flower

Love the band...( The Police)...but as far a 'law inforcement' is concerned...we just don't get along...and thats about all I wanna say on the subject...

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by jshm22 on September 26th, 2009

jshm22

Why? It's just another job. I think what you mean is do you hate the smug attitute of people with a job for life.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by MoiBein on September 26th, 2009

MoiBein

No More than the rest of the greedy, lieing, cheating, stealling, back stabbing, peaces of wast that is the human race. :$

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

• by Wombat99 on July 15th, 2010

Wombat99

I think most people associate police officers with traffic tickets and other things they'd rather not deal with. Of course they also protect us when we need it, but that isn't the context most people are used to dealing with them in.

It's also worth mentioning that not all police are actually good people, and someone who has had a bad experience with a dishonest officer might think poorly of police in general because of it.

• Like
    • Report

1 comment | Post one | Permalink

Want to attach an image to your answer? Click here.

Did this answer your question? If not, then ask a new question or create a poll.

You're reading Why do people hate the police when all they do is try and help? - which can also be phrased in the following ways:

• Do you hate the police?
  • why do some people hate the police?

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Ads