by growinlove on November 4th, 2009

growinlove

Question

Help answer this question below.

Friend of mine got expelled from her graduate program yesterday both due to the amount of stress and part laziness. I want what's best for her while I still think it's good for her to fight for staying at the program. How should I approach this to her?

• Like
  • Report

Answers

Answers. 5 helpful answers below.

• by Nuttsky on December 8th, 2009

Nuttsky

It sounds as though the program wasn't right for her. I'd leave the matter alone. It takes motivation to earn an advanced degree and hers wasn't sufficient. Consider: Not everyone gets admitted to a graduate program, and if she was not cutting it, then her space in the program needs to go to someone who wants it more and will do the work, and meanwhile she might find a path that feels better to her.

• Like
    • Report

3 comments | Post one | Permalink

• by Stranger in a Strange Land on December 8th, 2009

Stranger in a Strange Land

If she's been expelled it is already too late. You should have intervened earlier. +5

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Piggle on December 8th, 2009

Piggle

Perhaps you might do better to support her to find what she wants to do next - if this program were right for her she would be motivated and fighting for her place without your advice.

Why was she so stressed - because she is ill; in which case she needs some help to get better. OR because the work was too much for her - which in turn could have caused the apparent laziness.

Try to understand what is truly best for her rather than what you think is best - you may be surprised at how different those things turn out to be!

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by AmyAnn on December 8th, 2009

AmyAnn

Stay out of it.

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by HeavySkinz on December 8th, 2009

HeavySkinz

Ask her if she wants your opinion. If she says yes, then give it to her. Thats all you can really do.

No comments. Post one | Permalink

Want to attach an image to your answer? Click here.

Did this answer your question? If not, then ask a new question or create a poll.

You're reading Friend of mine got expelled from her graduate program yesterday both due to the amount of stress and part laziness. I want what's best for her while I still think it's good for her to fight for staying at the program. How should I approach this to her?

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Ads