by nurse9 on December 15th, 2008

nurse9

Question

Help answer this question below.

What is the flow of blood after it enters the kidney through the renal artery?

  • Like
  • Report

Answers



Answers. 1 helpful answer below.

  • by iwnit on January 4th, 2009

    iwnit

    1) "The blood enters the kidney through the renal artery in the renal sinus. It branches into segmental arteries, which further divide into interlobar arteries penetrating the renal capsule and extending through the renal columns between the renal pyramids. The interlobar arteries then supply blood to the arcuate arteries that run through the boundary of the cortex and the medulla. Each arcuate artery supply a variety of additional interlobar arteries that feed into the afferent arterioles to be filtered through the nephrons. After filtration occurs the blood moves through a small network of venules that converge into interlobar veins. As with the arteriole distribution the veins follow the same pattern, the interlobar provide blood to the arcuate veins then back to the interlobar veins which come to form the renal vein exiting the kidney
    Blood filtering takes place in the (nephron), which is found in the kidney."
    Source and further information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney


    2) "Blood flows into the kidneys through the renal artery and enters the glomerulus in Bowman's capsule. In the glomerulus, the blood flow is split into fifty capillaries that have very thin walls. The solutes in the blood are easily filtered through these walls due to the pressure gradient that exists between the blood in the capillaries and the fluid in the Bowman's capsule. The pressure gradient is controlled by the contraction or dilation of the arterioles. After passing through the afferent arteriole, the filtered blood enters the vasa recta. Blood exits the kidneys through the renal vein."
    Source and further information:
    http://www.shodor.org/master/biomed/physio/dialysis/kidney.htm


    3) "Blood flowing through the renal artery is distributed via a series of divisions (see fig 2) and ends by feeding the glomeruli through the afferent arterioles. After passing through the glomerular capillaries, blood leaves through the efferent arterioles to enter a second capillary network, the peritubular capillaries, which surround the tubules and then leave via renal venules.

    Each of these capillary networks is exquisitely designed to serve the functional needs of the kidney. Every day 180 liters of fluid pass through the glomerular capillaries as filtrate. About 99% is recovered from the tubules and carried back into the general circulation via the peritubular capillaries. The remaining 1% continues on to its final presentation as urine."
    Source and further information:
    http://www.uhmc.sunysb.edu/internalmed/nephro/webpages/Part_A.htm

    No comments. Post one | Permalink

Want to attach an image to your answer? Click here.

Did this answer your question? If not, then ask a new question or create a poll.

More Questions. Additional questions in this category.

More Questions


You're reading What is the flow of blood after it enters the kidney through the renal artery?

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Ads

Related Questions

Answerbag