by Tsamaya is on semi-retirement on October 5th, 2008

Tsamaya is on semi-retirement

Question

Help answer this question below.

Do you agree with Richard Dawkins that it is child abuse for a parent to decide what religion their children will follow?

• Like
  • Report

Answers

Answers. 9 helpful answers below.

• by Sea Siren on October 5th, 2008

Sea Siren

No, I think you should expose your child to many religions and let them decide what is best for them.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Im Alec has abandoned this account on October 5th, 2008

Im Alec has abandoned this account

To *decide* what religion they should follow - yes. But to educate them in your beliefs, while admitting that they are not universal, no. You are entitled to bring up your children in your style, but if and when they disagree, you must not stand in their way.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Someguy on October 5th, 2008

Someguy

This just shows you where Dawkin's mind is in regards to religion. He just doesn't want to disprove God. He wants to discredit those that believe in anything he doesn't. That is the tolerant left for you.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Scrappy on October 5th, 2008

Scrappy

as much as I disagree with parents forcing religion upon their child, child abuse is extreme. Too many people today use the term Child abuse and it's losing it's real meaning.. you spank a child.. it's child abuse. you ground a child, the child says "I am being abused". Our child services is so backed up investigating cases of untrue child abuse because people people are so busy yelling" child abuse" about every little thing and when children are really being abused, they can't investigate. If a parent wants to brainwash their child, they have to answer for that. However, I do think that once that child becomes a certain age, the parents are morally wrong for FORCING that child to continue to do church things.. it should be their choice.

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by subtlesledgehammer on October 5th, 2008

subtlesledgehammer

No. That being said, I would be open to my child discovering for his or her self what resonates with them. I would never impose my spiritual beliefs on another. But "abuse" as Dawkins refers to it? Most often I would not label such an action as "abuse."

• Like
    • Report

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Talimze on October 5th, 2008

Talimze

I don't know if child abuse is the right term, but it is certainly not fair.

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by The Music Roob Ninja on October 5th, 2008

The Music Roob Ninja

Child abuse is a little extreme, but I certainly don't agree with it. I mean, you wouldn't call it child abuse if a person forced their political opinions on their children. +2

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Cranberry_Cutie on October 5th, 2008

Cranberry_Cutie

No, I don't consider it abuse to educate children as to your religious beliefs, however, I don't believe that those beliefs should be forced upon them. I feel that children should be given the knowledge about various religions and then, given the choice of choosing one for themselves or not choosing one at all. Education is very different from making the choice for them, or forcing your beliefs on them.

No comments. Post one | Permalink

• by Teri on October 5th, 2008

Teri

I do not agree with this.....

No comments. Post one | Permalink

Want to attach an image to your answer? Click here.

Did this answer your question? If not, then ask a new question or create a poll.

You're reading Do you agree with Richard Dawkins that it is child abuse for a parent to decide what religion their children will follow?

Follow us on Facebook!

Related Ads